Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blessed?

Undergoing a tragic loss in one’s life certainly changes one’s definition of the phrase “blessing from God.” In the last three years since losing my son, I have found myself very much troubled by those who say (in person or in emails, Christmas cards, Facebook statuses, etc) something like this:

“My life is great. My kids are great. My job is great. My family is great. God is really blessing me!”

Now before I hear protests of “You are just jealous!” let me explain that in no way am I disputing the idea that God blesses us with wonderful gifts of family harmony, job satisfaction, and physical and spiritual growth of children. I truly do rejoice in how God blesses His people.

But at the same time, I also have this nagging question: “Hmmm. If God is blessing this person with all these happy providences, does this mean God is NOT blessing me in my loss? Am I experiencing an anti-blessing? What about me, God??? I want to be blessed, too!!!”

See the dilemma? Thankfully, Jesus Himself answers this question directly in the Sermon on the Mount, found in Matthew 5:

“Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.’”

Anyone who has suffered the loss of a precious friend knows the feeling of being ‘poor in spirit.’ Anyone who has cried repeatedly because of missing the love of a relative understands ‘mourning.’ So what does Jesus mean that we are “blessed?”

It doesn’t mean that we should be rejoicing or happy with the event which led to the grieving process, but it does demonstrate that God has a blessing for us in the midst of this difficult period in our lives. Being ‘poor in spirit’ shows a dependence upon God and His mercies which perhaps we hadn’t really felt before; and ‘mourning’ causes us to seek healing, forgiveness, and compassion from the only One who could possibly help us.

With loss can come humility, and God gives grace to the humble (James 4:6). He will not despise a broken and contrite heart (Psalm 51:17). But more than anything else that we have here and now, those who are poor in spirit and who are mourning are taught by suffering and grace to wait for the fullness of comfort that will be ours in the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment