Monday, April 15, 2019

Two Pieces of Paper and the Cross of Christ



As long-time readers of CandyceLand know, Vaneetha Rendall Risner has written one of the best books on suffering I have ever read. It is entitled The Scars That Have Shaped Me. She also authors a blog that is wonderful as well. (If you'd like to see my previous 4 blog posts about her book, just type Risner in the blank box in the upper left hand corner of this page.)

Vaneetha's article this month has to do with an analogy believers can use to explain exactly what happened on the cross in a way that even those who have never heard the gospel can understand. It really resonated with me because it is so simple yet profound. Here is an excerpt from the article, but if you would like to read it in its entirety, just click here. Do look around the website while you are there - you will be blessed.

"Our pastor recently explained the gospel through a simple analogy that was more straightforward than anything I had heard before. He said, 'It’s as if we all have a paper with our name at the top and underneath is a record of the sins we have committed. For each of us, that list would be incredibly long.'

"I cringed when I considered what that paper would contain. It would be tens of thousands of pages since it would include everything I’ve thought, everything I’ve done, and everything I have not done. The unkind ways I’ve gossiped. The lies I’ve told to protect myself. The angry words I’ve snapped at my children. The jealousy I’ve felt when others have surpassed me. The indifference I’ve shown to the suffering of others. The doubt I’ve harbored about God’s provision for me. The desire to build my own kingdom and not God’s. The list would be endless if I considered all the ways I’ve failed to love and honor God and failed to love my neighbor.

"Our pastor went on to say, 'In the analogy, Jesus has a piece of paper too. He has his name at the top and underneath are all the sins that he committed. His paper, of course, would be blank because he lived a sinless life. At the cross, Jesus exchanged his paper with ours. He crossed out our name from our paper with all our sins listed and wrote his name in our place. And he took that paper to the cross where God poured his wrath out on Jesus for us. In exchange, Jesus put our name at the top of his perfect paper. So now when God looks at us, he sees Christ’s sinless record.'
"Christ took my name to the cross. He took the paper with all my sin and satisfied the wrath of God. And in exchange, he gave me his sinless record so that I can live with him forever. And because Christ dwells in me, I will never be alone. I am blessed with every spiritual blessing. My life has meaning and purpose. I am loved beyond all comprehension."

No comments:

Post a Comment