Monday, June 17, 2019

Quotables

I love my smart phone because it enables me to save so much time! I like being able to take a 'screenshot' of many things I find on the internet. I no longer have to scramble for a piece of paper and some writing utensil in order to remember facts or ideas, because with technology I can just take a picture of it. 😉

Here are the last few months of screenshots that I've collected featuring quotes from modern and not-so-modern theologians. I'd like to hear from you as to which ones you found most inspiring/memorable/convicting/thought-provoking.

I favor #2, #4, #7, #8, #9, and #11. What about you?

1. "God is more worthy of interest, attention, admiration, and enjoyment than all other realities, including the entire universe."
     John Piper

2.  "I have given God a million reasons not to love me.  None of them changed His mind."
     Unknown

3.  "If you're a Christian, you believe in a sovereign Creator God who created the entire cosmos as the theater of His glory, and there is not one atom or molecule that is outside His sovereignty in the universe."
     Al Mohler

4.  "To expose our minds constantly to ungodly thinking is a great danger."
     Alistair Begg

5.  "It is utterly crucial that in our darkness we affirm the wise, strong hand of God to hold us, even when we have no strength to hold Him."
     John Piper

6.  "You can love without agreeing with someone. You can disagree without hating them."
     Tim Keller

7.  "God only uses imperfect people: Noah got drunk, Moses was angry, Rahab was a a prostitute, Abraham was a liar, David was a murdering adulterer, Elijah was depressed, Jonah was self-righteous, Peter was cowardly, Paul was a persecutor, Thomas doubted. God's grace is greater than all our sin."
     Garrett Kell

8. "The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal. To deny that loss is to deny the love."
     C.S. Lewis  (This is the one quote that I always share with my GriefShare friends.)

9.  "I know the resurrection is a fact, and Watergate proved it to me. How? Because 12 men testified they had seen Jesus raised from the dead, then they proclaimed that truth for 40 years, never once denying it. Every one was beaten, tortured, stoned, and put in prison. They would not have endured that if it weren't true. Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world - and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible."
     Charles Colson

10.  "He foresaw my every fall, my every sin, my every backsliding; yet, nevertheless, fixed his heart upon me."
     Arthur W. Pink

11. "We forget that God's primary goal is not changing our situations or relationships so that we can be happy, but changing us through our situations and relationships so that we will be holy."
     Paul David Tripp

12.  "The great basis of Christian assurance is not how much our hearts are set on God, but how unshakably his heart is set on us."
     Tim Keller



5 comments:

  1. That's a hard one to pick just a few, they each are different and relative to my life.
    1. This would be my hearts desire to live everyday with keeping this in mind and in my heart, thoughts, speech and activities.
    2. How many times have I sat in my prayer time while reading my bible, told God I am Yours do with as you will, left my room and left Him and my commitment to Him in there.
    3.This gives me the greatest sense of security to Know that God is with me in everything no matter where I am or what I am doing even when I am sinning He is there to remind me that I have sinned against Him and to turn back to Him.
    4.This is a good reminder that we are in the world but not of the world. Thank the Lord that we can repent and be forgiven I find great hope in that.
    5. A good reminder that He is for us even when we are against Him. How wonderful God's grace is. He is our Rock, our Redeemer, our Savior, the One who tucks us under His wing and is our Protector.
    6.I am convicted by this one, I am more apt to be angry with someone who does not agree with me. I need the love of the Father constantly filling me and the Holy Spirit constantly reminding me to love and not be angry, that I don't always have to be right so stop arguing my point.
    7. This one I find great comfort in since I am such a sinner it reminds me that even I can be used by God. What an awesome thing God did for us to write about the great people of the bible and to show us the truth about their weaknesses. It is so encouraging to me to know that to be human is to sin no matter who that human is, that's why we all need our Savior.
    8. We could save ourselves the pain of loss by choosing to not love however, God made us to live in relationship, there is no love without relationship, it takes more than one to love. So I guess the joy of love is worth the pain of loss.
    9. Excellent example of the gospel being the truth, Jesus may I be willing to die for the truth as your apostles were. The truth will set us free even free from the fear of death for standing up for the truth that so many people just don't want to hear these days, a lie will not stand for long, it has a foundation on sandy ground, the truth however will never crumble for its foundation is rock!
    10. WOW! This gives me great pleasure and does my heart good. To know that I am so loved by my Creator, He who knew in advance what an awful sinner I would be in this life, still gave life, happiness, prosperity, joy, love and peace to me simply because He delights in me. Hallelujah!!
    11. Convicting! I would prefer that He change my situation to a more comfortable, easy way of life so I could just be happy all the time. However, if He did that I would never be shaped into the better woman that He made me to be. He keeps me on my best behavior, ever growing, ever being made more holy, more like His Son Jesus and someday our joy is in knowing that we will be made perfect!
    12. This is a great way to end the list of quotes it brings me such reassurance that no matter how many times I turn away from God because of my sin, He is always there to call me back, His arms open wide, a smile on His face and amazing love.

    I thank you Candy from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to share these quotes with us causing us to reflect on each one and bring something new and fresh to our spirit. God bless you sweet sister in Christ. Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all these good thoughts, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy, I don't know why this way works but it does...so I hope that you won't mind hearing from 'dad and mom' once in awhile...:O)
    Enjoyed these quotes so much and Debbie's response to them was a blessing to read too. I will have to learn to use my phone more often as well. #5 was probably my favorite. I needed them all but for some reason #5 spoke to my heart...maybe because I have such trouble trusting God in everything. HE is a Truth keeping GOD and that should be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone, are you "Mom and Dad?" :)

    ReplyDelete