Monday, May 11, 2020

Our Buildings May Be Closed, But The Church is Alive


This video was first sent to me by my friend Jeannette who mentioned that it made her "cry a lot."  So I watched it, and surprise, surprise, it made me cry too. Sensing a pattern here, I made Steve view it, and he did not disappoint - cried MORE than I did, which is saying a lot. In the past week or two I've listened a couple more times trying to figure out the emotion that this virtual choir evoked from the three of us.

Here's what I've come up with: During this time of worldwide pandemic, our churches have been closed, our friendships with one another seem to be on pause, and there is much confusion and fear and divisiveness coursing throughout our country. At the same time, there is great evidence that the Church of Jesus Christ is flourishing and being a beacon of hope to those within and outside her doors.

I also think this video captures the very essence of the proper posture for all of us: worshipping the Lord with our everything. The diversity of musicians, choristers, instruments, races, and denominations is incredibly displayed and gives such meaning to the song. This choir may be from the UK, but much more importantly, these performers are from the CHURCH, God's outpost of His kingdom here on earth.

It also reminds me of the first Protestant hymn I ever heard back in Berkeley, CA, which to this day is one of my most cherished favorites. This particular verse of "The Church's One Foundation" gives us such confident expectation that nothing can separate us from the love of God and one day we will see that through the blessing of God upon His people, His church shall prevail.

The church shall never perish!
Her dear Lord, to defend,
to guide, sustain, and cherish,
is with her to the end;
tho' there be those that hate her
and false sons in her pale,
against the foe or traitor  (or virus - my substitute word)
she ever shall prevail.

Please watch and share your thoughts on this video. It takes 6:46 minutes to view. Thanks!

Link to "The Blessing"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtll3mNj5U

Lyrics: There are really only two verses, repeated often.



The Lord bless you
And keep you
Make His face shine upon you
And be gracious to you
The Lord turn His
Face toward you
And give you peace
Amen, amen, amen
Amen, amen, amen
Amen, amen, amen (amen, amen)
Amen, amen, amen
Amen, amen, amen
May His favor be upon you
And a thousand generations
Your family and your children
And their children, and their children

1 comment:

  1. So moving, I did not cry, however I am sitting here at work watching the video so my emotions are in check, we'll see how I am moved more fully when I am alone in my prayer room watching it. I would encourage anyone to watch this video, what a powerful reminder that you take the people out of Christ's church, but you can't take the church out of Christ's people. I was amazed at how many more viral chorus videos praising the Lord there were on the right side of this one. God's people have been very busy during this Pandemic. May many come to know Christ during this epic virus. Debbi

    ReplyDelete