Monday, December 7, 2020

The Story Behind The Song

In case you didn't know this, CandyceLand has been around for a long, long time. I just checked and I've been writing since early August of 2009 - so more than 11 years. I often joke with people that if ever they experience insomnia they should feel free to read the 478 blogposts that I've written - a sure cure to make you fall asleep. ðŸ˜‚

Anyway, I digress a bit. Back 'in the day' I used to devote many articles to the "Story Behind the Song," meaning the background to the writing of sacred hymns. Somehow understanding how God used certain circumstances to plant music and words in a composition that we still sing today is both heart-wrenching AND beautiful. 

I have written before about my tendency to cry while singing hymns. Often it occurs because the words and music of a song touch my very soul, reaching down and taking hold of my emotions. Sometimes though, I cry because of the story behind the writing of these hymns. And most often it's a combination of the words, music, and personal history of the hymn writer that make me weep the most. 

Here is today's offering in a beautiful format. I was amazed to see and hear a wonderful performance of the history behind "It Is Well With My Soul."  Most of us know the story already, but this particular presentation is worth experiencing. It is narrated by Hugh Bonneville, known to many of us as Lord Grantham of Downton Abbey fame. What an orator! 

So when you have time, sit back (for 16 mins and 40 seconds) with your favorite cup of tea and a box of tissues and thank God that His sovereignty, even in the midst of sometimes devastating afflictions, has led to many precious songs that encourage us even centuries later. Enjoy!

Click Here To Watch

No comments:

Post a Comment