Sunday, March 14, 2021

Searching for a Great Novel?

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to read. I've written before in this blog that it was my mother who started me off. I frequently contracted bronchitis while a little kid and one day she brought me a huge stack of library books and placed them on my bed. WHA?!?!  I couldn't believe that SHE believed that I could read these huge chapter books... but as usual I was wrong and she was right. And then and there my life-long journey began to seek out and find good fictional novels.

So of course a recent article entitled "25 Great Novelists Who Affirm Faith" certainly piqued my interest. Along with the name of the author a brief description is given of the type of literature written by each. Although I was originally discouraged to find that I had only read 14 of these great novelists, I finally realized YAY!  I have many more books to read!

If you want to read an amazing set of books, start with Marilynne Robinson. Steve has read her most famous book series 3 times, and we just got the latest in that collection delivered to us a couple of days ago. They truly are a delight to read. Start with Gilead (which won a Pulitzer Prize in 2005.) 

As an aside: Steve and I are now on the hunt for good movie adaptations of the classics that we love. To that end this week alone we enjoyed Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. We have watched all the Jane Austen novels several times each and of course The Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien multiple times (although not all this week!) 

Have fun with this list, and let me know if you would recommend any of these books.  👍

Here is the list

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Candy, for these lists. So helpful! Norm and I have been trying to find worthwhile movies to watch and it has been frustrating. Did try to watch Anna Karenina but couldn't get it! Is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime? I am going to also look into the series by Marilynne Robinson...anything worth reading 3 times speaks volumes to me!! Thank you again, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simone,I sent you an email just now. Hope you find Anna!

    ReplyDelete