Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Is God My Co-Pilot?

Charles Spurgeon's thoughts: "Upon some points a believer is absolutely sure. He knows, for instance, that God sits in the center of the vessel when it rocks most. He believes that an invisible hand is always on the world's tiller, and that wherever providence may drift, God is steering it. That reassuring knowledge prepares him for everything. He looks over the raging waters and sees the spirit of Jesus walking on the water, and he hears a voice saying, "It is I - do not be afraid." He knows too that God is always wise, and knowing this, he is confident that there can be no accidents, no mistakes, and that nothing can occur that ought not to happen."

Candy's thoughts: This quote reminded me of two things, a bad bumper sticker and a beautiful song. A frequent decal on cars is this one: "God is My Co-Pilot." While I understand the sentiment behind the phrase, it somehow seems wrong to me. The idea that God and I are fully equals in determining the course of my life makes me uneasy. I prefer God to be totally in charge steering the course of my days on earth while I seek to follow His wise and loving lead.

The song is "Jesus, Pilot Me." While it was written in the late 19th Century, the version I love the most is by BiFrost Arts. Wikipedia describes the group this way: "It is an ecumenical religious organization closely linked with the Presbyterian Church in America that produces written and recorded religious music." I very much appreciate their music, and for reasons that will become obvious as you listen to this old hymn, it totally expresses my desire for Jesus to be "in the center of [my] vessel when it rocks most." 

Listen to the song

Lyrics:

  1. Jesus, Savior, pilot me,
    Over life’s tempestuous sea;
    Unknown waves before me roll,
    Hiding rock and treach’rous shoal;
    Chart and compass came from Thee:
    Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

Though the sea be smooth and bright, Sparkling with the stars of night, And my ship's path be ablaze With the light of halcyon days, Still I know my need of Thee; Savior, pilot me.

As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boist’rous waves obey Thy will
When Thou say’st to them, “Be still!”
Wondrous Sov’reign of the sea,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

When at last I near the shore,
And the fearful breakers roar
’Twixt me and the peaceful rest,
Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
May I hear Thee say to me,
“Fear not, I will pilot thee.”

2 comments:

  1. While singing "Jesus What A Friend for Sinners" in Worship yesterday
    (" Jesus what a guide and keeper! While the tempest still is high,
    Storms about me, night o'er takes me,
    He, my pilot hears my cry!
    Hallelujah! What a Savior ") I thought about when I first heard that expression, " Jesus is my co- pilot. I was a new Christian, and gladly believed this to be true. I believed when and if I couldn't do the Christian life for some reason, couldn't fly my plane, He was there to take over.
    I love good theology! Christ is my life! I was dead! If He were not my Sovereign Pilot from "takeoff", Saving, keeping, helping loving I still would be. But Oh to know this! Such blessed assurance! And how foolish to try to take the controls from Him.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts as always, Esther!!!

    ReplyDelete