Monday, September 10, 2018

Some Mother's Child

Since first becoming a mother some 36 years ago, I have viewed tragic or pitiful stories differently than before then. When I've seen news of someone causing or being a victim of a horrific crime, I've thought about the parents of both the perpetrator and the victim. If I read an account of girls being freed from the sex trade in India or anywhere in the world, I think of the joy a parent should feel in seeing their loved one rescued. Obituaries always make me wonder if there's a parent mourning the loss of their child, whether it's a young or adult one. For me it's always about the mother and father behind the person who is affected by a terrible event.

Which is why the link I'm sharing with you today struck me so hard when I read it recently. It is written by Bob Bjerkaas, a friend of ours who once labored as a pastor in Vermont and is now ministering in California. (The picture I posted is Bob with Joni Earekson Tada who is one of his parishioners.) As I read Bob's blogpost I wondered if this is the way God thinks of us as He sees us floundering/sinning/hurting/being hurt by others. I think it pains Him as much (or more?) than it pains us as earthly parents when we see our own kids struggling. I'd be interested in hearing perspectives and thoughts from all of you after you read this beautiful story and poem.

http://bobbjerkaas.com/some-mothers-child/

2 comments:

  1. You have a tender heart for others, God's love is what reigns in your heart, compassion, empathy and obviously also in Bob Bjerkaas heart. I am ashamed to say that thought has never once crossed my mind when I see the same people you speak of. My first thought is my safety, isn't that awful! I remember a time when we were in Mexico years ago (before I knew our Lord Jesus) when I was approached on the street by a man with a terribly withered hand. I was so appalled by the appearance of it that I quickly threw him a $5.00 bill and moved away at great speed. I didn't take the time to even look him in the eye, I couldn't get beyond the hand. I have to ask myself now that I'm a child of God would my reaction be the same. Well I hope not but I can't be sure. I thank you for sharing this Candy, I would like to take it and ask God to use it to change my heart, to trust that if He places someone that would be undesirable to most in my path that I would first of all trust that He would protect me and secondly I would think "this is someone's child who at one time was held closely to their mothers breast and she had hopes and dreams for who they would grow up to be, and heart that swelled with love for her child. Oh Lord change my heart from this heart of stone to a heart of flesh for Your names sake, for Your glory. Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the "some" in the scripture
    "on some have compassion" sometimes get more weight than it ought to? O that we might learn to keep our hearts pure and open to the Lord AND see people as in Genesis 1, in God's image. Pray Him to make it so!

    ReplyDelete