Friday, September 28, 2018

The Valley of Vision



"Lord, High and Holy, Meek and Lowly,

You have brought me to the valley of vision,
   where I live in the depths but see you in the heights,
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold your glory.

Let me learn by paradox
     that the way down is the way up,
     that to be low is to be high,
     that the broken heart is the healed heart,
     that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
     that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
     that to have nothing is to possess all,
     that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
     that to give is to receive,
     that the valley is the place of vision.

Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from the deepest wells,
     and the deeper the wells the brighter your stars shine.
   
Let me find your light in my darkness,
     your life in my death,
     your joy in my sorrow,
     your grace in my sin,
     your riches in my poverty,
     your glory in my valley."

Candy's thoughts: It sounds odd or irreverent to say that one has a "favorite prayer." We often reference books and movies and laundry detergents as "favorites." But truly, this IS the special prayer that I return to time and again. Each phrase merits its own blog post, but time does not allow for that ambitious project. However, I have committed this day to take each thought expressed and meditate on it throughout the course of my day, particularly in the morning and before bed at night. I intend to write each phrase on a little file card and carry it with me so that I can be reminded to think through who God the Father is, what His son has accomplished on the cross, and how the Holy Spirit has applied the gospel and all the promises to us through Holy Scripture. 

Anyone want to join me in this commitment to meditate on this, my "favorite prayer?"

   

4 comments:

  1. Ahh my favorite book of prayers after the book of Psalms. Thanks for reminding me to bring it out. This is the first prayer of the book. The timing is perfect as I seem to be looking out from a deep well these past few days however it was darkness that I was seeing. I will commit to meditate on these phrases with you today so I can see the stars instead of blackness. I will taste "Thy glory in my valley." My soul rejoices with the truth :-) Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading this prayer tonight in Romania. Tomorrow I am giving a brief message on Mark 12:44, "But she, out of her poverty, has put in everything she had." Somehow that fits with the Valley of Vision Prayer. I have been assigned to speak about "Pastoral Leadership in Mission" from the standpoint of a supporting church. I was not prepared for that, but that was the assignment I received when I got here, and I am warming up to it. Anyway, I miss you! Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. By faith, because He said, "I will quiet you in my love," I will. How long?

    ReplyDelete