Thursday, October 18, 2018

"My Times Are In Your Hands" Parts 1 & 2


As stated in the previous blog post, I have been reading through a little booklet entitled "My Times are in Your Hands," written by Alistair Begg and based on Psalm 31:15. Here are the first two points made by the author concerning this verse.



Begg's thoughts:

1. I am not trapped in the grip of blind forces.

2. I am not tossed about on the ocean of chance.

Candy's thoughts:

I purposely grouped these two reflections together because they are similar in application. One prime example of this philosophy of "blind forces" and "ocean of chance" is an experience we had back when Steve and I first came to Exeter to start EPC. We were in a local church on a sad day - attending the funeral service of a young man who was a father to one of our kid's friends. He had died as a result of cancer. The pastor of this church was instructing those grieving that his death had nothing to do with God at all, that cancer "just happens." He further went on to say that anyone who believed that God was involved in this death either didn't know anything about God or anything about cancer. I could not believe what I was hearing. How was this comforting to those in the midst of terrible sorrow at the loss of a beloved husband and father? I had never before heard a tragic death explained by 'chance' by a clergy member.  So sad.

Psalm 31:15 would have been a better and much more comforting message to give to those that were assembled that morning: "My times are in Your hands."  Praise God that He gives us many such reassuring reminders in His Word that He is faithful in the midst of even the most devastating life-changing events in our lives.







1 comment:

  1. Amen. Praise Him also for His Body the Church, for the friends who come to us in such times of grief and shock that we may be reminded of His presence and Word, the comfort with which they have been comforted.

    ReplyDelete