Monday, September 2, 2019

Labor Day 2019



Did you know that today is the 125th Anniversary of the federal holiday known as Labor Day?  Well, neither did I until I started researching the history of this annual celebration. Wikipedia informs us that "It honors the American labor movement and the power of collective action by laborers who are essential for the workings of society." Following my own rabbit trail of musings on this definition, I began to wonder about "labor in the Lord" and how that kind of work is essential for the workings of God's kingdom and society. Here is a smattering of verses related to that idea:


Exodus 20:9 - Six days you shall labor, and do all your work.

Psalm 104:23 - Man goes out to his work and to his labor until the evening.

Ecclesiastes 2:20 - So I turned about and gave my heart up to despair over all the toil of my labors under the sun.

Isaiah 13:8 - They will be dismayed: pangs and agony will seize them; they will be in anguish like a woman in labor. They will look aghast at one another; their faces will be aflame.

Isaiah 55:2 - Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?

Daniel 6:14 - Then the king, when he heard these words, was much distressed and set his mind to deliver Daniel. And he labored till the sun went down to rescue him.

Matthew 9:37 - Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.”

James 5:4 - Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts.

1 Corinthians 15:58 - Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Matthew 11:28 - Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.


There is much to say about all these verses, but let me close with some thoughts on the last two listed. First, we all need to remember that God is pleased to use our labors. He does not need us, but He has determined to give us the privilege of working for His kingdom. In the Lord, your labor is not in vain. 

Second, if you want to know who really did all the heavy lifting for us, think about Jesus. Because He labored so well, we are invited to enjoy perfect rest in Him. So to all who labor, hear His wonderful words: "Come to me" and "I will give you rest."

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating the way your mind works my friend. I had been wondering about the same thing but I never took the time to look up what we are actually celebrating when we close our work for the Labor Day off so thanks for taking care of that for me (us). What I chose to do on Labor Day since I did not need to be anywhere else was to labor in the study of the bible and to labor in prayer it was wonderful, I got lost in how long I spent at it. Based on that here is a verse that works in that particular situation:

    John 6:27
    Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.”

    1 Thessalonians 1:3
    Remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

    Psalm 127:1
    Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain.

    Psalm 128:2
    You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.

    Ecclesiastes 5:12a
    Sweet is the sleep of a laborer, whether he eats little or much,

    Spending time in reading God's word, praying and building a relationship with our Creator is the most rewarding labor we can do.







    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think YOU should write a blog. You have lots of good stuff to say!

    ReplyDelete