Monday, March 9, 2020

Before A Sermon, After A Sermon

"That prayer is most likely to pierce heaven which first pierces one's own heart."  Thomas Watson (1620-1686)

Not only is that my new favorite quote, but it is the basis for my new favorite book. (Yes, yes, I know that I often write enthusiastically about reading a new publication, but it is still true that I have a "new favorite.") 😊

The book is a collection of prayers entitled Piercing Heaven: Prayers of the Puritans. It contains so many beautiful requests to God for those things agreeable to His will. The Table of Contents very helpfully lists the subject matter of every prayer in the book, so in desperation one could skim for the type of prayer most applicable to one's particular challenge.

Here are two examples which apply to everyone who listens to God's Word in worship and attempts to love, obey, and serve our Lord as a result of doing so.

Before A Sermon

Lord, I am now entering into your presence, to hear you speak from heaven to me, to receive your rain and spiritual dew, which never return in vain, but ripen a harvest either of corn or weeds, of grace or judgment.

My heart is prepared, O Lord, my heart is prepared to learn and to love any of your words. Your law is my counselor; I will be ruled by it. It is my physician; I will be patient under it. It is my schoolmaster; I will be obedient to it.

But who am I that I should promise any service to you? And who is your minister that he should do any good to me, without your grace and heavenly call?

Be therefore pleased to reveal your own Spirit to me, and to work in me that which you require. Amen.

Edward Reynolds (1599-1676)

After The Sermon

Blessed be God, the Father of all mercy, who continues to pour His benefits upon us.

You have chosen and called us, justified us, set us apart, and glorified us.

You were born for us, and you lived and died for us. You have given us blessings for this life, and for a better life to come,

Lord, your blessings hang in clusters, falling upon us. They break forth like mighty waters on every side.

And now, Lord, you have fed us with the bread of life, your word. So we have eaten the food of angels. Bless it, Lord, make it health and strength to us, as we strive and prosper, until our obedience reaches the measure of your love - you who have done everything for us.

Grant this, dear Father, for your Son's sake, our only Savior. With you and the Holy Spirit, three persons, but one most glorious, incomprehensible God, be all honor, glory, and praise forever, Amen.

George Herbert (1593-1633)

1 comment: