Monday, April 20, 2020

Bound or Bound?

I was walking around my neighborhood last week when the hymn "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" came through my headphones and flowed into my brain and heart. The first time I listened with my heart which is where I always begin when hearing just about anything - whether secular news or a touching sermon illustration. Very predictably, I cried.

The second round of "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" caused my brain to go into overdrive. I started wondering about the word "bound," since it is repeated many times in the course of the hymn. I began thinking about the many ways we, as people of God, can be bound. When I arrived back home I searched for the definition of "bound" and here is one dictionary's range of meanings for the word:


tied; in bonds:
a bound prisoner.

made fast as if by a band or bond:
She is bound to her family.

secured within a cover, as a book.

under a legal or moral obligation:
He is bound by the terms of the contract.

destined; sure; certain:
It is bound to happen.


Very interesting definition, especially for God's saints. We are bound in sin through Adam, but now are part of the family of God. We are bound in our souls by the Lord's comfort and refuge, "...more happy, but not more secure, the glorified spirits in heav'n."  Because of the contract between the Father and the Son before the world was even created, Jesus is committed to saving us. Therefore we have a confident expectation and a sure hope of being "...Bound for the Promised Land." Good news indeed!!!

[Please listen to the link below with music and lyrics provided by Indelible Grace which grew out of Reformed University Fellowship, our (PCA) denomination's college ministry. Their first album was simply titled Indelible Grace, taken from a line in the Augustus Toplady hymn "A Debtor to Mercy Alone."  This particular selection ("From Jordan's Stormy Banks") was recorded in a Hymn Sing in 2010 at the Ryman Auditorium, more commonly called The Grand Ole Opry.]

Let's all thank God for His indelible grace in bringing us one day across the Jordan into the Promised Land.  Click here.  

1 comment:

  1. Here are a few more definitions of "Bound".

    -BOUND, To leap; to jump; to spring; to move forward by leaps.

    Made me think of one of my favorite passages (being a rancher in my earlier days I have no problem with this vision), "

    2 But to you who fear my name shall the sun of righteousness arise with healing in its wings. You will go out, and leap like calves of the stall." Malachi 4:2 (This after they have been bound up waiting for the rancher to release them from the stall, it is a delightful sight and will always bring laughter!

    -BOUND, v.t. 'To limit; to terminate; to fix the furthest point of extension, whether of natural or moral objects, of passion, desire, indulgence. Hence, to restrain or confine; as, to bound our wishes."

    So many passages on this definition of bound wish one would come to mind.

    -Then there is the setting free of those who are bound by sin, Praise be to Jesus.

    "The Year of the LORD’s Favor

    1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
    because the LORD has anointed me
    to bring good news to the poor;
    he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim liberty to the captives,
    and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;"

    WOW this is fun! Thanks Candy, your sister in Christ, Debbi

    ReplyDelete