Monday, January 11, 2021

The Lord's Prayer and Christian Identity



"Therefore you should pray like this: Our Father in heaven, your name be honored as holy. Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."


Spurgeon's thoughts: "These verses come from the Lord's prayer, and each element can be divided into most instructive heads.

"Our Father in heaven" - I am a child away from home.
"Your name be honored as holy" - I am a worshiper.
"Your kingdom come" - I am a subject.
"Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven" - I am a servant.
"Give us today our daily bread" - I am a beggar.
"And forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors" - I am a sinner.
"And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one" - I am a sinner in danger of being a still greater sinner.""

Candy's thoughts: WOW - I have studied the Lord's prayer many times, and even taught a book on it years ago during Women's Bible Study. Only God knows how many times I have prayed this prayer and yet just recently I read these comments of Spurgeon's on the Lord's prayer and continue to be amazed at how simply, briefly, and beautifully this man of God can cut to the core of any passage of Scripture. 

Much of our present world is obsessed with identity politics to the point of absurdity. But above all that there is a much more basic and satisfying of all identities: to be a Child, Worshipper, Subject, Beggar, and Sinner, redeemed by the Lamb. Amen to that!

2 comments:

  1. Simply put and most beautifully taken. Hallelujah to our Savior Jesus Christ and God our Father. Amen hallelujah God is good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Feel free to leave your name... or not if you wish to remain anonymous. I have had reports of difficulty posting on this site - sorry if that's your case.

    ReplyDelete