Sunday, April 11, 2021

Divine Interruptions


Dietrich Bonhoeffer's thoughts: "We must be ready to allow ourselves to be interrupted by God. God will be constantly crossing our paths and canceling our plans by sending us people with claims and petitions. We may pass them by, preoccupied with our more important tasks, as the priest passed by the man who had fallen among thieves... When we do that we pass by the visible sign of the Cross raised across our path to show us that, not our way, but God's way must be done... But it is part of the discipline of humility that we must not spare our hand where it can perform a service and that we do not assume that our schedule is our own to manage, but allow it to be arranged by God."

Candy's thoughts: Ouch! As confessed just two weeks ago here on CandyceLand, I am addicted to all things list-related: the making of them, the organizing of them, and finally the doing of them. So when my schedule goes askew, so do I.  My mind gets flustered and frustrated, and I overcompensate by scrambling to do ALL THE THINGS ON MY OWN LIST instead of calming down and doing ALL THE THINGS ON GOD'S LIST. 

The good part of this story is that through sanctification I have become much better at dealing with scheduling snafus than when I was younger. These days (meaning now that I'm much older... 😉) I am more relaxed when the unexpected happens. Years of experience have shown me that more often than not the divine interruptions that come my way are delightful gifts from God. I'm referring to surprise calls or emails during the day from people that make me stop for a smile or laugh; an opportunity to care for my grandsons; a call for help from someone who ends up blessing me much more than the other way around.

If as believers we truly believe in the sovereignty of God, then we should be looking for these 'God Moments' and rejoice that He is sending a gift to us through them - not to discourage us - but to bless us. Praise God From Whom All Blessings (And Interruptions!) Flow! 😇


5 comments:

  1. I’m also a list maker& planner but I’m not as adaptable yet as you are- God is working on me & in me. I feel like I should print this out so I can reread it when I need it. Thanks Candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Jo, I said I was "better" not that I'm "there" yet. Much more pruning by God is needed!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, convicted! Holy interruptions!! (Didn't Robin from Batman say something close to that?) They can be like brick walls. No matter how hard you try to fix the printer, or the computer, or send that email that just won't go through, God will thwart our efforts long enough for us to know that it is He who is saying, "not yet' (or at all), I have more important business for you, or He might be saying that email should not go out because the person who would receive it will not be encouraged by what you said! These Holy interruptions can be for many reasons sometimes God is saving us from ourselves. Thanks for the reminder sister I love the sign off you put, "Praise God From Whom All Blessings (And Interruptions!) Flow! 😇

    Sorry I have been absent for so long, I have a lot of reading of the blogs to catch up on. Debbi

    ReplyDelete