Thursday, May 17, 2018

A Better Prescription


Scripture: "Be anxious for nothing."  Phil. 4:9

Keddie's thoughts: "Paul does not talk about the things our world likes to believe will give peace of mind. Things like good health, job security, and the right medication may indeed relieve anxiety. But we need real solutions, not temporary palliatives. He echoes Jesus's teaching in Matthew 6:8-9 that we turn to the God who knows the things we need before we ask him. Anxiety is often well founded. There are all sorts of nasty and uncertain events in life. Even so, anxiety inevitably rests more on doubt about God than on certainty about future woes. Whatever our circumstances - good or bad - Paul's counsel is to "rejoice in the Lord always." His powerfully practical theological reason is that "the Lord is at hand" (v.5). Anxiety is understandable enough, but at its root it is atheism. Rejoicing in the Lord is faith in action, looking to the Lord who is there and who loves his people."

Candy's thoughts: Ouch. Like a doctor who gives us a serious diagnosis after examining our symptoms, Keddie's conclusion is a tough one to deny. We act like 'practical atheists' when we continually fret and worry even though we have the Biblical option to turn to the God who knows everything about us, including our fear and sadness. Let's pray that the Lord would help us to trust him more and more, especially in the midst of difficult circumstances that threaten to undo us. "I believe, help my unbelief."

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I know I am anxious only because I have begun to know how deep is my lack and have so much need to comprehend the all-sufficiency of the power of the resurrected and ascended Christ, who is seated at the right hand of God, and in Whom is our life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? I just wrote this whole long comment and it disappeared!! So a shorter version for I will persevere and not get discouraged. Recent life events have caused me to run to the Throne daily. I am growing in my understanding of what it means to trust God. I would not have a full understanding of that means without trial upon trial, discouragement, heart breaking news, and frustration with things of this world. Anxiety sets in I feel overwhelmed and suddenly I realize I am sinning against God. I wake up from my worldly slumber and run back to the Throne of grace where I can cast all my fears, doubt and anxiety, I am set free once I trust that God is in control, not me, halleluja!! The freedom that comes from taking on the yoke of our Savior, our Vine, our Friend, our Redeemer.

    ReplyDelete