Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Real Repentance vs Fake Humility

Scripture: Read Daniel 9:1-13

Keddie's thoughts: "True prayer consists of confession of sin (vv. 5-13). Daniel confesses sin in specific terms. There is nothing here of the easy, generalized "we all sin in thought, word, and deed" approach so popular today. This confesses nothing and is no better than a means of evading any real facing up to our particular personal sin. Undefined sin is unconfessed sin. And "admitting mistakes" is not repentance, nor is "moving on" reformation. Confession requires self-conviction."

Candy's thoughts: How true! Telling God that we are messed-up people without specifying our actual sins costs us nothing. Anyone can say "I am the chief of sinners," but unless we go through the list of our transgressions, we are just puffing up ourselves with a showy fake humility without having to make any real change.  We need to count our sins "one by one," reflecting upon them, considering our motivation when committing them, and planning our strategy for recognizing our tendencies and stopping them before they begin. It is very encouraging to know the truth of 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister! I have been working very hard on recognizing my sin before, when or after I commit it and asking God to forgive me right then. He is helping me to recognize my sin and to deal with it at the time thanks be to the Holy Spirit. This is a constant purging, cleansing, changing of heart and redirecting. Since we discussed this at our group I have been much more faithful in repentance doing it this way assures me to acknowledge my sins before God Almighty when I would do this list before bed I would not be able yo recall my specific sins because I had forgotten them or I would simply fall asleep while trying to recall them. Keep writing my friend I am so grateful for those who act upon Gods call to help and encourage others through their writing. Debbi

    ReplyDelete