Monday, November 19, 2018

Don't Be a Turkey This Thanksgiving


I'd like to take a moment and introduce CandyceLand readers to another blogger. Her name is Sharon Gamble and she writes at sweetselah.org. She and I go waaaaaaay back to the days when 3/4 Magee kids attended Portsmouth Christian Academy and her husband was (is!) a terrific teacher of history there. Anyway, the title of her post today REALLY caught my eye, and if you are reading this, it obviously caught yours as well! Sharon reminds us that Scripture can inform us even how to 'behave' and therefore bring glory to God around a Thanksgiving table. I hope you enjoy this article, and please be sure to check out her other musings which can be found at the link above. You won't regret doing so.  💕

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.—Proverbs 9:10 NIV
Turkey (slang): one who is inept; a failure; a dud
Dear friends,
Let’s take some notes from Proverbs today so we don’t wind up being the “turkey” at Thanksgiving this year. God’s Word is full of advice on how to behave. So … as a holiday approaches and you are asked to be in close proximity with people you love and sometimes people who are a tad bit hard to love … take note. And have a great Thanksgiving!

Don’t …


Take offense easily. “A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense” (Proverbs 19:11 NIV). Some people have extra sensitive spirits. Perhaps they were teased as children or feel foolish in a crowd. For whatever reason, these dear ones can often misinterpret words, ending up feeling slighted and offended. Perhaps that’s you and me at times? I love this verse. It reminds me that it’s to my glory—my shining—to overlook a comment that I perceive as an offense. Wisdom yields patience. We need to be patient with others and believe the best of them. Words often pop out of a mouth sounding harsher than the speaker meant. Let’s overlook these words and live “unoffended,” having patience with others and knowing we are loved by the Holy One, and, therefore, we are … just fine.
Urge people to eat what they shouldn’t. “If you find honey, eat just enough—too much of it, and you will vomit”(Proverbs 25:16 NIV). It’s actually unkind to push food on someone. As a person with a special need in my diet, I can attest to the awkwardness that results when someone wants me to try something I really shouldn’t. Offer food and smile, whether the food is accepted or rejected. Let’s all be mindful of others’ food needs and restrictions.
Run from difficult people. “It is a sin to despise one’s neighbor, but blessed is the one who is kind to the needy” (Proverbs 14:21 NIV). Difficult people have a story. Each one of them. Yes, sometimes they are the product of their own foolish decisions. At the same time, they also come with genuine hurts and wounds from a past that we can’t begin to understand. There are all different kinds of needy folk: those who live in financial poverty and those who live in emotional or relational poverty. Listen to that difficult person. Love them as Christ loved you. Make them welcome at the table and help them belong. Always be kind. It’s often the difficult ones who need kindness most of all.
Kindle gossip. “A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends” (Proverbs 16:28 NIV). To kindle is to light a fire, to activate, or inflame. When we engage in gossip, speaking unkindly about someone who is usually not present, we stir up conflict and separate even close friends. Oh, let’s be careful with our tongues! I always play a mental game when someone starts talking about a person not present. I immediately picture them watching us as we talk. I imagine that they hear every word I say. That totally changes what I say! Try it. It really helps.
Envy others. “A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones” (Proverbs 14:30 NIV). Envy is horrid. When you look at what you don’t have, you are robbed of the joy in what you do have. Envy gives you an unkind heart toward others. As the proverb says, it “rots your bones.” Literally makes your insides hurt. Yikes! Let’s be content with what we have. Seriously. Are we wearing clothing? Do we sleep on a mattress at night? Then, we are blessed. When we focus on all we have, our hearts are at peace and our bodies flow with life.
Yak. “When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise” (Proverbs 10:19 NASB). To yak is to talk at length, especially idle or trivial chatter. Oh, how easy it is for me to get going with a good story and keep going. And then going some more. Although it’s fun to “entertain” in this way, it’s also unkind. In a good conversation both parties share and talk. I want to do a better job of listening and drawing out the quieter person so I can hear their thoughts and their stories.
Dear Lord, here I am. Imperfect. Prone to selfishness and loving my own comfort. Help me, please, this Thanksgiving to heed Your Word and to be kind, putting others’ needs ahead of my own. Help me to be an encourager, a listener, a peace-bringer in all the events I attend. Lord, help me to shine Your love in all I do! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment