Friday, November 9, 2018

"My Times Are In Your Hands" Part 3

Alistair Begg's continuing thoughts regarding Psalm 31:15: "My Times are in Your Hands."

(If interested, scroll down 5 articles for Parts 1 & 2.)

#3: I am being trained in the school of God's providence

"God wrote the Bible so that we might know that He sees, cares and acts. He stepped down on to the globe from the glory of heaven. He revealed Himself in the person of the incarnate Son, the Lord Jesus Christ... Do you know what that means? It means we are not trapped in the grip of a blind force or being tossed about by chance. It means we are being trained in the school of God's providence. It means that our times are in His hands. In Scotland we used to sing the following hymn:

                                           My times are in your hands.
                                                My God I wish them there.
                                           My life, my friends, my soul,
                                                I leave entirely to your care.
                                           My times are in your hands,
                                                whatever they may be,
                                           Pleasing or painful, dark or bright,
                                                as best may seem to thee.
                                           My times are in your hands,
                                                why should I doubt or fear?
                                           My father's hand will never
                                                cause His child a needless tear."

Candy's thoughts:  "Why should I doubt or fear?" Is there one of God's precious children who would deny that fear of the unknown and doubt of God's love should be cast away forever from our minds? Yet when tragedy strikes, are there any that haven't experienced these unbelieving emotions? I know that there are wonderful testimonies in our present day and in past generations where faithful children of God have ultimately come to the right conclusion that God is sovereign over all "pleasing or painful, dark or bright" providences. We need to learn to embrace the words of our Savior: "Not my will, but Yours, O Lord." As this beautiful hymn quoted by Alistair Begg states, "My father's hand will never cause His child a needless tear." What a comfort when painful and dark sorrows threaten to overwhelm us.





No comments:

Post a Comment