Monday, January 21, 2019

Go to Sleep!!!

"Suddenly, a violent storm arose on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves - but Jesus kept sleeping." Matt. 8:24

Spurgeon's thoughts: "What? A storm where Christ is? Yes, it is generally so. If all seems calm, you may question whether Christ is there, but when he goes into the boat and his disciples follow him, it is not remarkable that the devil comes after him. Jesus slept. Here is the weakness of humanity, and here is, also, the strength of faith. Jesus went to sleep because that boat was in his Father's hands and he would take care of it. Sometimes the best thing we can do is to go to bed. You are worrying and troubling yourself, and you can do nothing - go to sleep. It is the climax of faith to be able to shake off all care and to feel, "If the Lord cares for me, why should I not sleep?" To sleep was the best thing Jesus could do to renew his bodily energies and to prepare himself for the time when his efforts would be needed for the deliverance of his disciples from danger."

Candy's thoughts: I am a terrible sleeper. I have always been a night owl, and as I get older I am becoming an early bird as well. My Fitbit informs me that last night I slept between 1:21AM and 6:52AM - but I was actually awake for 22 minutes between those hours - for a grand total of 5 hours 9 minutes of actual slumber. Ahhhh - the wonders of technology that can confirm that I am one of those people that Spurgeon is referring to when he states: "You are worrying and troubling yourself, and you can do nothing."

Sigh. When will I learn this truth that Jesus loves me and that everything that He ordains for me is for my good and His glory? As I lay me down to sleep tonight I will try to preach the gospel to myself and be further comforted by Psalm 127:2b: "...yes, he gives sleep to the one he loves."  💤💤💤

4 comments:

  1. When will you, we finally learn this truth? Most likely not this side if heaven. Sigh even when we think we finally have achieved knowing the truth, we slip back into the lie. I will pray for you tonight my friend and sister in Christ. Sweet dreams :-) Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone I know has a pastor for a husband and this verse was recently part of a sermon. Smile It stirred me to think of Christ's sleep of faith. Rocking the boat in a storm did not move it. Dear Father. Strengthen our faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He counsels us in the night watches:) When I am wakeful, He is always awake to be my comfort and strong refuge. Did I wake because He just called my name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have often wondered if God wakes us so that we can pray!

    ReplyDelete