Monday, January 7, 2019

What a Family!

Read Genesis 27:1-40 or click here.

Some people in my family like to take personality tests. While I am initially skeptical of answering what seem to be ridiculous questions ("Would you rather read a poem or shoot a gun? 😮), I am always surprised by the accuracy of the 'personality' type that comes from such questionnaires. I am judged to be an "obliger" in the Four Tendencies test;  a "helper" in the Enneagram test; and a "nurturer" in the Myers-Briggs test. I've often sulked about my labels - they sound so boring compared to the other more exciting titles like "The Performer," "The Champion," and my personal favorite, "The Mastermind." 😆

And so it was that while reading the "Stolen Blessing" chapter of Genesis 27, I managed to see the four family members through the lens of personality tests. It certainly seems to me that both Isaac and Esau are "Impulsive" and "Love to Eat" and Rebekah and Jacob are "Deceptive" and "Can Hunt and Cook Quickly."

As we know from Chapter 25, Esau sold his birthright because he was so hungry he was "about to die." Isaac decided one fine day that he was "old" and didn't "know the day of his death" (he survived about 40 more years) so he arranges for Esau to cook up a buffet feast and then he will bless his son. Rebekah, hearing this and wanting the blessing to fall upon God's chosen (and her favorite son), Jacob, instructs him to hurry and beat out his brother in feeding his father. Jacob lies to his Dad ("I am your firstborn") and pretends to have a hairy neck and arms. By doing this, he obtained the blessing intended for his brother.

What a family, huh?

This year I am using The Spurgeon Study Bible for my daily reading, and he writes this about these particular family dynamics:

"Why is all this recorded in the Bible? It is not to the credit of these men. No, the Holy Spirit does not write for the credit of man; he writes for the glory of God's grace." 

Spurgeon is presenting us with a very encouraging thought. If God can use a family with such obvious sin tendencies to further His plans for the salvation of the world, then He can surely use us as well, despite our funny and not-so funny faults. That's good news indeed for all of us who turn out to be something less than Masterminds. 😎

No comments:

Post a Comment