Monday, May 20, 2019

Praying For Our Friends

"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and right way. Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. (1 Sam. 12: 23-24)

Prayer by Scotty Smith found in Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith

"Lord Jesus, there's a lot more to friendship than praying for my friends, but I haven't really been a good friend unless I've prayed and continue to pray for them.

"The fact that you call me friend is overwhelming. And knowing that you are always praying for me is all the motivation I need to repent of my prayerlessness. Indeed, how can I enjoy such a rich standing in grace and not 'stand in the gap' for my friends?

"For my friends with broken hearts, Jesus, I pray for the reach and touch of your tear-wiping hand. Spare them from those of us who would 'heal their wounds lightly' (Jer. 6:14), not taking their pain seriously enough. Heal them in such a fashion that will leave them merciful toward others, not merely pain free.

"For my friends with angry hearts, Jesus, I pray you will dialogue with them the way you entered Jonah's rage. 'Do you have a right to be angry?' you asked the conflicted prophet. I'm not saying you will simply make my angry friends sweet. Help them see the sadness behind the mad, the pettiness in the petulance, and the real hurt being mishandled in more hurtful ways.

"For my friends with fearful hearts, Jesus, I pray you will bring your centering, calming presence to bear. To be fearful is one thing, but to be fearful and alone is almost unbearable. Place your hand upon them in the gospel, the way you touched the apostle John. Speak deep into their hearts, 'Do not be afraid, I am the First and the Last. I am the Living one.'  (Rev. 1: 17-18)

"For my friends with deceived hearts, Jesus, we're prone to wander and you're prone to come after us. For my friends with hearts en route to being hardened by the deceitfulness of sin, for those under Satanic spells, for those who are simply selfish, stubborn, and stupid - Jesus, rescue them before they bring any more harm to themselves and others, I pray.

"Jesus, help all of us - starting with me - constantly remember what great things you have done for us, so that we might fear you with affectionate reverence and serve you faithfully with all our hearts. I pray in your grace-full name. Amen."

Candy's thoughts: I read the Bible every year but yet never noticed the fact that Samuel the Prophet considered it 'sinning against the Lord' to NOT pray for the people of Israel. I would have thought neglecting such a duty (and delight) was 'thoughtless,' or even 'shameful' if I promised a friend to pray, but then forgot to do so. This realization will hopefully propel me (us?) to intercede for friends more intentionally. Do I hear an Amen?


No comments:

Post a Comment