Monday, June 22, 2020

How Do I Overcome My Depression When I Don't Know Why I'm Depressed?

It has been my personal observation that at least once a day I become "low in spirit." Usually I can't pinpoint why I'm feeling so low, although I always search my list of possible culprits: How's my blood sugar right now? What did I just read or watch that is causing me to be fearful? Have I done my devotions yet today? If so, do I need to do them again? Am I experiencing grief over the loss of a loved one or over the state of our nation? And on and on and on...

Sometimes I am able to locate the problem, but more than likely I cannot. 

So what can I (we) do about shaking off this type of "causeless depression?"  Ed Welch has two ideas for us in the following video. He is a great writer, counselor, Professor of Practical Theology at Westminster Seminary and a faculty member at CCEF - Christian Counseling and Educational Foundation. The video is only 2.35 minutes long - but quite memorable. 

I hope this helps all of us as we try to fight depression whenever it hits.

Click here for the video.

2 comments:

  1. As always this blog is so timely God always brings us the lift we need at just the right time and the timing of this blog was just right for me.

    I have been behind on reading your blogs which makes me sad but this time instead of starting at the bottom blog where I left off, I decided to start at the top. I have these down times that Ed Welsh is talking about more often now then I used to and yesterday was one of those days. I left work feeling anxious, terribly unsettled and depressed I could feel myself sinking down, however, I couldn't feel the Rock under my feet to keep my head above water.

    Taking a walk with my dog helped some however, when we arrived back home, I realized I hadn't talked to Jesus for more than 5 minutes! I had the quiet opportunity to have a little talk with Jesus and I didn’t use my time wisely. This thought brought to mind a little song that sometimes comes on when Rick & I are listening to our blue ray in the car which is appropriately named "Just A Little Talk With Jesus." When the song comes on a smile comes immediately and I find myself giggling by the end of it, so I thought just maybe I could add a # 4 to Ed Welsh's list (oh I do hope that's ok).

    Here is the song being sung by The Statler Brothers "Just A Little Talk With Jesus Makes It Right" https://youtu.be/V2NpiFFX7Is

    I hope when you listen to it you also will find yourself smiling and maybe even dancing and singing along. God Bless us all. Debbi

    ReplyDelete