Monday, May 24, 2010

Dreams That Cannot Be...


Long-time readers of CandyceLand know that I am a big fan of Andree Seu, a columnist for World Magazine. She is the one, actually, who initially inspired me to write a blog. Her writings proved that one didn't have to write an entire book in order to be a "writer." Her words, in small essay form, intrigued me enough to try out this medium of blogging.

Her latest column, then, is so wonderful that I can't help but comment on it and apply it to my own life. It was written and published online just last Friday (May 21st) and is entitled "We Propose, God Disposes." It is based on Romans 1:13.

"I want you to know, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you..."

As Andree points out, the most interesting phrase here is "I have often intended to come to you." We know that there was nothing inherently wrong or sinful in Paul's plan to visit his friends, yet God repeatedly denied Paul the opportunity to do so. Very often, at least in my life, and probably yours, God overrules even very good dreams that we have, dreams that even seem so in line with God's very own teachings. Here is how Andree interprets this:

"It did me good today to notice that verse and to realize that even the Apostle Paul prayed for things that did not materialize. I am assuming that each time Paul 'intended,' or 'planned (NKJV),' to visit the Romans, he had prayed about it. He prayed with the assurance that his request was for good and godly things—he had kingdom expansion on his mind. He prayed knowing that God was able to remove all obstacles that might prevent him. And yet 'often' he had been 'prevented' from going ahead with a godly plan. He had perhaps made copious preparations, and perhaps found what seemed to be open doors and green lights. He perhaps canceled other engagements and packed his bags and lost money on the venture. What did me good was Paul’s evident lack of theological concern regarding these unanswered prayers. He doesn’t feel the need to explain or defend much."

All of this brought to mind something that Steve and I 'intended' to do for God and for some orphans in Romania several years ago. For three years we attempted to adopt a sibling group of 5 children. (Three of the kids are pictured above.) The Reader's Digest version of this very long story involved Steve and multiple visits to these kids, battles with State Department officials, so much bureaucratic red tape and paperwork, etc... But Romanian and American officials ultimately said no. Which meant, of course, that God said no.

I remember at the time of our disappointment thinking and even saying something like "Well, we don't understand what God did here in this adoption saga, but probably in 5 years or so we'll know what this was all about!" I can emphatically state that I have even less of a clue now as to why God said no than I did when it first happened. So at present I say "Well, probably when we get to Heaven we'll find out the reason behind those years of effort to bring those children into our home." But will we know then?

I will give my favorite author the last words here - since I can think of no better way to interpret this strange Providence of ours regarding our efforts to help Monica, Ionel, Mihai, Vasili, and Elena:

"I need to stop doubting God’s existence and the meaning of life whenever my prayers and godly endeavors don’t pan out as I prayed. Paul is my model. He prayed, made plans, and moved forward on his plans. And when all that prayin’ and plannin’ did not issue in his desired goal, he was as confident in God as ever."

I sincerely hope that I can follow Paul in being content in the midst of confusing and perplexing situations. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Well Candy, "yes as a matter I can", but that only came about on my quiet and peaceful walk with my dog this morning. I was saddened greatly this weekend when I realized I would not be able to attend the Tuesday night women's book study that is going to start up again on Tuesday. I had fully planned to go back, was certain that God wanted me to now that my bible study schedule is open and nothing is in front of me. Surely He has given me an empty plate so I can re-fill it.

    As I found out, the one who God has placed in my life as the one I am to submit to under His authority, said he would prefer me to take the summer off. Wow what a disappointment I was left with.

    As I walked alone this morning in the beauty of a bird and butterfly refuge that my dog and I happened upon I was chatting with God and asking Him why would He want me to give everything up and keep and empty plate? The answer came before I even finished my question. He wants ME, all of ME not just the ME inbetween work, home duties and bible study. He wants me to look closely at the character traits He has been trying to show me, He wants me to examine and see the sin that He wants to set me free of, and of course this takes times like I had this morning, Kinda like Paul being sent out into the desert for several years where there is no distraction from God.

    I say that I don't mind God's discipline and that I like to see my sin so I can deal with it, but the truth is that's just not true. In these quiet and undistracted times that God has set aside for me I know that I am going to learn so much and to lean so much on Him and that's when HE will begin to fill my plate again, when He is done with me. It's time to reflect and to "Be still and know that He is God." Is that a books worth?? DS

    ReplyDelete