Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Yellow Marks

It really amazes me the sheer number of great resources for studying God's word that we who live in the modern era possess. Think of the number of Bibles that we have in our individual homes. Add to that all the commentaries, theology books, even "how-to-live-as-a-Christian" manuals we own. I've recently discovered that almost all of the classical commentaries are available on-line for free. I even have some bookmarked on my computer - like those of Charles Spurgeon and Matthew Henry.

All these musings came about because today I picked up a Bible that I haven't used in several years. I know this to be the case because at the end of each book of this New King James Version Bible I had penciled in the date when I had completed reading it. The dates are from November 1999 through February 2005. This also is the only Bible that I have ever highlighted in yellow marker. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have always felt uneasy writing in my Bibles - but this one had scattered marks - not many, but some.

So it was with some fascination that I happened upon Psalms 37 and 38. These are the two verses that I highlighted so many years ago:

"Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret - it only causes harm." (Psalm 37:8)

"Lord, all my desire is before You; and my sighing is not hidden from You." (Psalm 38:9)

What is discouraging about finding these verses is that I know why I highlighted them - because all my life I have been known for my fretting and sighing behaviors. My parents used to say to one another "Uh-oh, Candy's fretting again." And in college, even those friends who had adjoining dorm rooms to mine would comment on how often I sighed.

So have I made progress in these sin areas since February of 2005? I don't think so. If anything, I have had an increase in both fretting and sighing. The solution? Perhaps instead of only making note of the Scriptures in yellow, I should memorize these two verses, remembering Psalm 119:11, also highlighted five years ago:

"Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

1 comment:

  1. Interesting when I came upon your first referenced scripture Psalm 37:8 I said, "Hey, I just read this scripture yesterday and I had to go through my mental file cabinet (scarey that room is,) and remember where & what I was reading when I discovered it. It was last night when I was dealing with my anger issues, it seems to be a sin above all my others that plagues me daily and affects my family & work life especially since my husband and I own our own business and work right next to each other, together (24/7). I receive a daily devotional (one of many) that was a perfect reminder for me especially for the way I had acted out just before we left work (God is good in this way of reminding us, however He can get our attention). It was entiteled "Lingering Anger" and the bible scripture referrence, you guessed it, Psalm 37:8. I've copied and pasted the devotion if anyone is interested.

    "Lingering anger"

    Wednesday, 26 May 2010

    ‘Cease from anger…it only causes harm.’ Psalm 37:8 NKJV

    "In a 1994 newspaper article, War’s Lethal Leftovers Threaten Europeans, Associated Press reporter Christopher Burns writes: ‘The bombs of WWII are still killing in Europe. They turn up; and sometimes blow up; at construction sites, in fishing nets, or on beaches fifty years after the guns fell silent. Hundreds of tons of explosives are recovered every year in France alone. Thirteen bombs exploded in France in 1993, killing 12 people and wounding 11. ‘I’ve lost two of my colleagues,’ said Yvon Bouvet, who heads a government team in the Champagne-Ardennes region that defuses explosives from both WWI and WWII. Unexploded bombs become more dangerous with time. With the corrosion inside, the weapon becomes more unstable, and the detonator can be exposed.’ What is true of lingering bombs is also true of lingering anger: it explodes when you least expect it. Anger is not something to be proud of; it’s something to be prayed over. It hurts those closest to you; it causes you to lose respect in the eyes of others; it closes doors of opportunity; it puts you on dangerous ground with God. Take a moment and read what God’s Word says about your lingering anger: ‘Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret—it only causes harm.’ (Psalm 37:8 NKJV) ‘He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.’ (Proverbs 16:32 NKJV) ‘The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, and his glory is to overlook a transgression.’ (Proverbs 19:11 NKJV)"

    If you'll notice Candy this scripture sited is also from the New King James Version. I too seem to have an increase in daily outbursts of pent up anger I will join you in memorizing Psalm 37:8 and Psalm 119:11. Keep up the good insights Candy,it's very helpful and affirming to know that we are not the only one in this world that struggles with sin let's be mindful today that God's word can purge us of our sin so it's important to hide His word in our hearts. Some of the passages I have hidden in my heart is Psalm 5l:1-12. I take them with me today as I run off to work. Blessings everyone DS

    ReplyDelete