Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heaven in the Psalms

Where does one begin to discuss all the references to Heaven in the book of Psalms? There are so many verses that speak directly about Heaven, while many others don’t use that exact wording, but are still referring to life-after-life realities. There is suffering and grief and hope and glory present - sometimes even within the same Psalm!

To start us off, I skimmed through all 150 Psalms one day and wrote down just the references that used the word “Heaven.” Here is a sampling:

“The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord’s throne is in heaven; his eyes see, his eyelids test, the children of man.” (Ps 11:4)

“The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God.” (Ps 14:2)

“He will send from heaven and save me; he will put to shame him who tramples on me. God will send out his steadfast love and his faithfulness!” (Ps 57:3)

“O kingdoms of the earth, sing to God; sing praises to the Lord, to him who rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens; behold, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.” (Ps 68:32-33)

“Turn again, O God of hosts! Look down from heaven, and see; have regard for this vine, the stock that your right hand planted, and for the son whom you made strong for yourself.” (Ps 80:14-15)

“For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord? Who among the heavenly beings is like the Lord, a God greatly to be feared in the council of the holy ones, and awesome above all who are around him? (Ps 89:6-7)

“Let this be recorded for a generation to come, so that a people yet to be created may praise the Lord; that he looked down from his holy height; from heaven the Lord looked at the earth, to hear the groans of the prisoners, to set free those who were doomed to die, that they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord, and in Jerusalem his praise, when peoples gather together, and kingdoms, to worship the Lord.” (Ps 102:18-22)

“Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.” (Ps 115:3)

“To you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens!’ (Ps 123:1)

“Give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever.” (Ps 136:26)

“Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens!” (Ps 150:1)

Even this cursory walk through the Psalms shows us how central heaven is to God. These poems and songs that the Lord gave for the worship of His Old Testament people prepare us for a life beyond this earth. God rules from that higher place. The Lord wants His people in all ages to live with an awareness of the blessing that is reserved for us even now in the heavens.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Candy, God's word is so filled with promise and hope! As I read the verses you plucked out from the Psalms my mind was reminissing on others that I haved called upon myself for hope beyond this life of struggle, strife and greif.

    One of my favorites is from Ps.18, I would love to write the entire 18:1-19 but I encourage the readers here to go there themselves. Instead I will pluck out a few; that very clearly reference heaven.

    v6- In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came before Him into His ears.

    v9- He parted the heavens and came down; dark clouds were under His feet.

    v-10 He mounted the cherubim and flew; He soared on the wings of the wind.

    v-12 Out of the brightness of His presence clouds advanced, with hailstones and bolts of lightning.

    v-13 The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded.

    v-16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep water.

    And the last of these verses is our promise from Him who loves us more than we could ever even love ourselves;

    v-19 He brought me out into a spacious place, He rescued me because He delighted in me. The book of Psalms if a wonderful place to find God's promises and hope of what is to come once we have suffered here for a little while.

    My heart goes out to Diane deSousa's family this day as they begin the next chapter in life here on earth without her. DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear DS:

    Just so you know, God used Psalm 18 to convince me of His great love for me and then I realized I was His. Verse 19 was the clincher; I read that verse 27 years ago and my life was changed forever.

    Have I ever written about my conversion? You seem to remember what I've written more than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for His Word, the only word that has the power to change hearts forever!
    I would love for you to write about your conversion I've heard it and what a blessing for others to hear as well. Do tell? DS

    ReplyDelete