Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Long Before the Apostles Creed...


While Job is to be remembered as someone who affirms the sovereignty and goodness of God even in the midst of severe trials, we must not miss his incredible faith as well. In the midst of the pain at the loss of his property, children, and health, and with miserable friends accusing him of bringing on this trial because of some yet un-confessed sin, Job makes one of the most astounding professions of faith in the resurrection and the reality of Heaven of anyone recorded in the Bible:

“Oh that my words were written!
Oh that they were inscribed in a book!
Oh that with an iron pen and lead
they were engraved in the rock forever!
For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
yet in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
My heart faints within me! (Job 19:23-27)

The ironic component of this verse is Job’s wish that he could write down all his words and all his experiences. God certainly answered this desire in an amazing way! Throughout the centuries Christians have turned to this book of the Bible to receive comfort from the Rock of Ages Himself.

But then Job turns to the main point of this passage, and possibly the main point of the entire book. He professes that “at the last” the Redeemer will return to the earth. Long after Job has rested in the grave he KNOWS that he shall yet “in my flesh see God.” As if to affirm this point a second time, he emphasizes that he “shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold” God.

Long before there was an Apostles Creed, Job knew in his mind and felt in his heart the last two phrases that multitudes of believers have uttered countless times:

“I believe in the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting.”

All of our hearts should faint at the wonder of these truths!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment