Saturday, June 30, 2018

A Calf's Look at Life

"Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame."  Psalm 34:5

Joni Eareckson Tada: "On a particularly damp and windy day, hundreds of calves were huddled outside, shoulder to hindquarter, tucked between the fence and the barn. The rain had created a mess of mud and the calves looked dirty-brown instead of the usual black and white. They looked miserable.

All except one calf. Although he, too, faced the same windy rain and was covered with the same mud, he chose a different shelter - an open field of muck! In the face of the wind he skipped and jumped like a child. He was oblivious to the downpour. That calf literally looked happy.

Life is quite often like the farm scene of the calves, isn't it? We huddle with others of like misery in hopes that one day our lives will be happy again. Like the calf, however, David, the psalmist, chose an unusual moment in his life to declare the joy of being a child of God. Huddled around him in the cave of Adulam were four hundred smelly, dirty renegades fleeing from Saul. But David had the audacity to declare: "Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame" (Psalm 34:5).

David made a choice for himself. "We may be in a mess and we may be discouraged. But my God knows we are here and knows our need. I will dance and sing."

David was able to do so despite his fears. He submitted them to God and was enabled to declare a calflike joy. Are you gripped with a spirit of fear? Take each one by the horn and lead it to the face of God. Let your fears see the light of eternal day and you, too, will skip, laugh, dance, and sing."

Candy's thoughts. Hmmm. I can't say I've ever aspired to skip, laugh, dance, and sing like a calf, although other people may have observed me acting like that on certain occasions! But Joni's point, inspired by David's reaction to a fearful situation, is a good one. We must somehow resolve to respond to fear by looking to the One who is able to dissipate it. We've tried to deny, distract, and distance ourselves from anxious thoughts - but to no avail. Why not try to appeal to God's goodness and sovereignty instead? Why didn't I think of that?!?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Candy. This is a good picture to help me to " sing Jesus" over all my storms. Gratefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this I can totally relate to the cows and calves, I worked and lived on a ranch for 12 years beside my husband. Why I was even known to seek comfort from sitting from a group if mama cows while I wept over life's difficult situations. I didn't at that time of my life know the Lord but I have no doubt He put them there for me. My mind went to one of my favorite scriptures that references leaping calves it has been one if my favorites when I am downcast in my soul when I am grasping to find my contentment in a bad place. Malachi 4:1-2 "For behold the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all the evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for you who fear My name, the Sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.". On the ranch every time I saw one of these little ones joyfully kicking up its hind legs leaping in joy it brought a smile to my heart. May I be that happy little calf each time I think about the joy I have found in knowing my Lord Jesus. Debbi

    ReplyDelete