Thursday, June 28, 2018

Abba, Father

"For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father.'"  Romans 8:15

Keddie's thoughts: "The glory of these verses is that God never leaves his believing people to their own resources. Prayer is too often looked upon not only as a last resort, but also as a human resource that we can always fall back on in a tight spot. Such notions turn God into someone we only need when we run out of options. Like the lifeguard you don't need until you're drowning, he is someone with whom you have no personal relationship. He is about as personal as a welfare check, in which all that matters is that your name is on it and it will clear the bank! Paul makes plain that the Christian's God is not a social service one may need someday. He must be our personal "Father in heaven" (Matt. 6:9). As he loves us and ministers his grace to us, we must love him back as those who have a saving relationship with him in and through his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ."

Candy's thoughts: One of the reasons I so appreciate Keddie's book is that it is so convicting. This particular devotional is no exception - especially the idea that prayer is something "we can always fall back on in a tight spot."  As soon as I read that line I remembered the birth of one of my babies. It was a tough one (aren't they all?) and I relied upon Steve for comfort, the doctors for the bit of meds they gave me, and the nurses to keep me comfortable. About half-way through the labor, I suddenly realized "Hey! I forgot to pray!"  It was a happy moment, knowing that I had not yet appealed to the greatest source of relief possible. Yet, it was a humbling and embarrassing time as well. How could I have forgotten God?  He was the creator of the life within me, and I did not even think of him at this precious moment. UGH. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this Candy. It was at your advice I began using Keddie's devotional(so thank you again for that!), but I missed this one. Sometimes I feel I alone am ungrateful and unworthy and I despair. I am so glad the Lord has given me fellowship with other believers as we " grow up into Him."

    ReplyDelete