Wednesday, July 4, 2018

A Prayer of Consummate Freedom

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (Gal: 5:1)

A Fourth of July prayer by Scotty Smith:

"Dear Jesus, it's the Fourth of July - a holiday set aside to remember and revel in the freedom we enjoy as citizens of America. I thank you for our country, as broken as she is, and for the liberties and privileges I have as a citizen of the United States.

But that for which I'm most grateful as I think of the Fourth is the consummate freedom I enjoy as a citizen of heaven - as a member of  the "chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light (1 Peter 2:9).

To be set free by you, Jesus, is to be free indeed (John 8:36). I will certainly enjoy the pageantry, food, and fun of the Fourth of July this week. But I will resolutely stand firm, for the rest of my life, in the freedom for which you have set us free.

I praise you, Jesus, that I am free from the guilt of my sin, for you took my place on the cross, exhausting the judgment I deserve. I praise you for freedom over the power of sin, for you have broken its dominion in my life. I praise you for the freedom from the fear of death, for you removed its sting and robbed the grave of its victory.

I praise you that I can now obey God from my heart, and not out of pride, pragmatics, or pretense. I praise you for the freedom to come boldly to the throne of grace, into the very Holy of Holies, for you have secured this "new and living way" for us. I praise you for the freedom of repentance, for you have borne my shame and I don't have to pretend or pose anymore. I praise you for the freedom to risk, instead of rusting the rest of my life, for life is no longer about performance but about your praise.

Jesus, by the power of the gospel, I will seek to stand firm in these and many more freedoms you've won for us, and I will seek to resist all slaveries until the day you return to finish this magnificent "liberation suite." Hallelujah, what a Savior you are! Hallelujah, what a salvation you freely give us! I pray in your liberating and lovely name. Amen."

From Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith

1 comment: