Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sinned Against Again, #1

Regular readers of CandyceLand know that I am in the midst of a year-long study of Psalm 27, with the help of the incredibly good book: A Shelter in the Time of Storm: Meditations on God and Trouble by Paul David Tripp. Each devotional that I read I want to share verbatim with you - but space does not allow for this. I found another excellent one yesterday, and it will probably take a few days to share it with you - but it is absolutely worth the time. It is entitled: "Sinned Against Again," based on "Though an enemy encamp against me..." (Psalm 27:3)

The subject for today is the reality that we live in a fallen world, and so we will often be sinned against. For some reason, God has chosen to allow us to feel the effects of the Fall, primarily sin and misery:

"He has chosen you to live in an environment where there is no perfection to be found. He has chosen you to live as a flawed person among flawed people. He has chosen to keep you where injustice, corruption, jealousy, greed, anger, and conflict are everyday occurrences. He has not coated you with situational Teflon, protecting you from the disappointments and hurts of a world gone bad. There is no way you and I will avoid being sinned against. There is no way we will escape being besieged. God's covenant promises to you don't include a 'being sinned against' exemption clause."

Don't you love the way Tripp uses words? "Situational Teflon?" "Being Sinned Against Exemption Clause?" How I wish I possessed these two tools for dealing with difficult experiences!

Tripp then reminds us of all the mine-field relationships that could hurt us: husband/wife, parent/child, friends, deceitful co-workers, family injustices/favoritism, evil/violent strangers, etc. The list is endless. Finally he asks: "What do you do when the irresponsible choices of others have altered your life, maybe even for the long run?"

This last question is your homework, dear readers. Think through your answer - how do YOU respond when you are sinned against? Tomorrow I will share what Tripp considers the most common reactions, and why none of these work and all of them are sinful. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. OOH Candy, I have been away from Candyceland for a few days but am so glad to be back. As you suggested in todays blog "Sinned against again #5 I stopped reading and came here to the first day (good recommendation), because this is where I am in life right now, I will disclose no details but none the less here I am! As I was unable to sleep early this morning (normal) I lay in bed praying, going down my list for there are so many prayers that are needed. Then I came to someone who I really don't know how to pray for, so I asked the Holy Spirit to show me. In the back of my mind was, the ways I am sinned against by this person and explaining to the Lord (as if He needed me to), why I have so much trouble praying for this person, who at times (many) is so unlovable. His words to me were; "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8, After personalizing this passage I knew I had my answer, thus further securing the reason we need to read God's word and hide it in our hearts, that's how God speaks to us! Ok, I'm moving on to #2. DS

    ReplyDelete