Friday, December 11, 2009

Sinned Against Again, #2

Did anyone do the assigned homework from yesterday's blog? Yeah, I didn't think so... :-)

The question you were supposed to ponder was how you respond when you are sinned against. The context for this is a little mini-series for CandyceLand on being sinned against and our reactions to it. Acknowledging that we live in a fallen world, there will undoubtedly be situations in which we are wronged. Paul David Tripp in A Shelter in the Time of Storm: Meditations on God and Trouble wants to make the case that while sometimes we are sinned against through no fault of our own, how we react to this situation determines whether we fall into the trap of sin ourselves:

"Do you give way to fear, trying to conceive of all the possible "what ifs," as if figuring out what could happen will protect you from it actually happening? Do you tend to wallow in the "if only's" of what could have been, wishing for outcomes that have already passed you by? Do you bunker down and determine to live self-protectively, telling yourself that you have been taken once and it won't happen again? Are you tempted to strike back in anger, wanting others to hurt in the way that they have hurt you? Do you tend to slip into your cocoon of silence, refusing to deal with the person who has hurt you? Do you speak and act in haste? Do you allow the failure of others to initiate a new round of doubtful thoughts about the Lord, his love, mercy, and grace?"

My personal answer? Yes. I have done all of the above, and probably more. I would add sulking and stewing and scowling as well. And that's only for the letter "S."

Tripp continues:

"What do all of these reactions have in common? They make what happens to you the most important thing in your life. They make your disappointment the saddest thing in your life. They make your feelings the most accurate indicator of how good your life really is."

Ouch again. I guess we can add "selfishness" to our list of "S" words. But the surprising insight that will be revealed tomorrow is that "...you have been called to endure those experiences because of the choices of another."

Homework Assignment #2: Who is this "another?"

1 comment:

  1. "how we react to this situation determines whether we fall into the trap of sin ourselves:"
    "Yes" to all 8, Oh yes I would have to add yours to my list of "Yes" also, with self-pity, I have some very long Pity-Parties and usually I'm the only invited unless someone else happens to call me at the right time, then I invite them to come and join "my poor me party" Well I already know what my answer would be to the assignment, but I'm continuing on, the suspence is to much!! DS

    ReplyDelete