Wednesday, December 9, 2009

This is the Way

During the last two years I have developed a very deep appreciation for the book of Isaiah. I have always been intimidated by this section of the Bible - never quite understanding it, and not really seeing the present day value of it. What foolishness! Isaiah contains some of the most beautiful passages in Scripture. They have comforted me immensely. For instance, yesterday I read the following:

"For a people shall dwell in Zion, in Jerusalem; you shall weep no more. He will surely be gracious to you at the the sound of your cry. As soon as he hears it, he answers you. And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it, when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.'" (30:19-21)

And as if to anticipate my concern that I might not hear the Teacher, or that I might stray off the path to Zion, God provides me with this:

"And a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray." (35:8)

What a gracious God to even promise that should I become a fool (which happens too easily), I will not ultimately go astray. His shepherding will guide me back when I turn to the "...right or to the left." How I long to "...see my Teacher." What comfort! What encouragement! What hope for a gracious end to our suffering!

3 comments:

  1. Deep, slow intake of breath....slow outlet of breath....."Thank you God for giving me this precious reminder through this medium. I needed these words today, at this moment. Let me dwell on them and rest in your safety."

    This is my prayer after today's post. Vs. 21 is one of my particular favorites and one I pray often for my children. Sometimes, though, I forget to pray it for myself.

    ~hur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture to go along with God's beautiful words.

    "And as if to anticipate my concern that I might not hear the Teacher, or that I might stray off the path to Zion, God provides me with this:" Well written Candy, and scripture to back your concerns up. I think how often have I had the concern that I shall not hear my teacher. You have given us a wonderful word picture, I can see myself sitting at the feet of my savior, head on His lap, gazing into His Holy eyes and holding onto every word He speaks. Just like Mary was blessed to sit at the Rabi's feet so shall we someday. DS

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this one. very encouraging, beautifully put. Liz

    ReplyDelete