Monday, December 21, 2009

Words Without Knowledge

People often speak of having a "favorite" verse; I have too many to count. But the one that has stuck with me the most, particularly during the last two years, is this one from Job:

"Then Job answered the Lord and said, 'Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I place my hand over my mouth.'" (Job 40:4)

If ever there were a good idea - it would be this one - to stop talking. It is no small matter that after God's discourse at the end of this book, Job admits the obvious: God is so far superior to us that it would be wise to stop the fretting and rebelling and complaining that characterizes much of our speech. Why can't we remember this? Why do we fill up our ears with words that accomplish nothing except drag ourselves (and anyone within hearing distance) down to the pit of sin and despair? Why do we prefer our ignorant views on life experiences rather than trust that God has a purpose which we can't even begin to fathom?

Ahhh, to be able to conclude, as Job did, that submission is the key to peace, comfort, and mercy for us:

"Then Job answered the Lord and said: 'I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge? Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.'" (Job 42:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment