Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Anniversary Time!


Today is the 15th Anniversary of our family's move to Exeter, NH. Much has happened during that time, some that is commonly called "good" and some that is "bad." I was reflecting on our years here while reading through Psalm 77. The first part of the Psalm seems to speak to our reaction to those very real challenges that we have faced: church split, church fire, denial of our adoption of the 5 Szuroka children, and of course, the worst one of all, the loss of our son.

I cry aloud to God,
aloud to God, and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord;
in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying;
my soul refuses to be comforted.
When I remember God, I moan;
when I meditate, my spirit faints.
You hold my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old,
the years long ago.
I said, "Let me remember my song in the night;
let me mediate in my heart."
Then my spirit made a diligent search:
"Will the Lord spurn forever,
and never again be favorable?
Has his steadfast love forever ceased?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?"

Sounds pretty grim. But aren't there other facts we should be remembering? Was it only bad things that occurred, to the Magees and to the Israelites who were the first hearers of this Psalm? Here is the rest of the story:

Then I said, "I will appeal to this,
to the years of the right hand of the Most High."
I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
I will ponder all your work,
And meditate on your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy.
"What god is great like our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
you have made known your might among the peoples.

Aaah, yes. The Psalm finishes with a reminder to the Israelites of the miraculous crossing of the Red Sea, and the leading of God's people by the hands of Moses and Aaron.

And what about 'our' wilderness experience? By God's grace we have a strong church with the best congregation ever, we are stronger than before in our marriage and in our faith, and we are 15 years closer to heaven. Not so grim anymore.

Who is great like our God? He has indeed made known His might among His people. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

1 comment:

  1. Your asking about wilderness experience brought this quote from Samuel Rutherford to mind (if I've shared this one before please pardon the repetition) "I rejoice that he is come and hath chosen you in the furnace; it is even there where ye and he set tryst; that is an old gate of Christ's. He keepth the good old fashion with you that was in Hosea's days:'Therefore, behold I will allure her, and bring her to the wilderness and speak to her heart' (Hosea 2:14). There was no talking to her heart while he and she were in the fair and flourishing city and at ease; but only in the cold, hungry waste wilderness, he allureth her, and whispered in news into her ear there and said 'Thou art mine.'" ~ From THE LOVELINESS OF CHRIST

    ReplyDelete