Monday, October 12, 2009

Friendship Gifts

One of the greatest gifts that God gives us is the blessing of friends. I was particularly struck by this reality yesterday. I found myself in the morning surrounded by a multitude of friends in the worship at EPC. In the afternoon, God brought to our home one of Sam's closest friends, along with his parents. In the evening I was alone with my dearest companion here on earth. And throughout the whole day, I was carried along by the grace and love of the best Friend of all.

I don't know how any pastor and his wife could ever feel as tender and loving toward their congregation as Steve and I do. The saints at Exeter Presbyterian Church have cared for us in extraordinary ways over the past two years. We have felt surrounded by such warmth, and we are so appreciative of the love that we see them pour out on us, each other, and the visitors who visit us on Sunday mornings.

It still amazes me how God brings new people into our lives and we know instantly that they could be our new best friends! This is the case with Ann Marie and Walter, who visited us from Staten Island yesterday. If we lived in the same town, I suspect that we would be the closest of companions.

Sam's friend Christian related to us yesterday that in four years of living together as roommates at college, the two of them never had an argument or harsh word with each other. How does that happen without divine intervention?

And then to be blessed with a couple of quiet hours with my soul mate of 29+ years! I am so grateful to God for bringing Steve into my life. What a gracious providence.

So who orchestrates all these friendships? Who sends friends to come alongside us for encouragement and mutual edification (new friend Hal and old friends Bob and Gloria and Mark on Saturday - another story!)? Who cares enough about us to provide us with companions on this long and rocky road to heaven? Believe it or not, it is the One who calls us His friends. How can that be?

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." (John 15:12-15)

Wow. We who were once enemies of God are now friends with Him. Through the Cross and through the One who is the Word, we have been told how to love and learn and obey and serve. How can we reject such a great gift? What a friend we have in Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Candyce, I mentioned to Walter, after being at your cozy home, that as I grow older I realize what is really important in life--and it is people, especially our christian brothers and sisters. Just sitting at the table with you both, eating that delicious lunch, and sharing our hearts with one another---this is what makes life worth while. It is like taking time to smell the roses. You and Steve are special and an encouragement to many of us.
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Ann Marie gave me this link, thinking I would like it as I am a big time reader ( to the point that I am in graduate school for library science). I think your message about fiends was lovely. Your church sounds familiar to mine. Actually I wonder if you know my minister. He did attend Gordon Conwell and also pastored a Presbyterian church in N.H. not far from U.N.H. His name is Sam Schreiner and the church is Noroton Presbyterian in Darien CT. Our daughter attended U.N.H and Ann Marie mentioned your suicide ministry there. That is wonderful. Well, I guess this is enough of a comment from a stranger! Regards

    ReplyDelete