Thursday, October 29, 2009

Perfect Peace and Rest

Peace. Does anyone reading this have it? I looked up the definition and here is the first meaning: "Freedom from disturbance; quiet, tranquility; mental calm, serenity."

Yep, just as I thought, I don't have it. I rarely am "at peace." Without a doubt, one of my (many) besetting sins is "anti-peace." I struggle often with disturbances in my mind, a disquieted heart, and an untranquil spirit. But whose fault is this? Surely it is mine, for God has spoken numerous times on this topic and I am just not listening and believing. Ed Welch, in Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest explains it this way:

"Peace is a big deal to God, so you can be sure that he will keep speaking words of truth and encouragement until you 'get it.' Of course, you will finally get it when you see the Prince of Peace face-to-face, but you can bring him honor by knowing peace even before then. We have absolutely no evidence that God ever throws up his hands and says, 'You are driving me crazy! What more can I say?' If he says 'Do not be afraid' hundreds of times (as he does in the Bible), there is no reason to think that he will be silent during your struggles. How strange it would be for God to say, 'Okay, you persuaded me. You aren't my child.' How backwards! He is the One who persuades us."

So why do we resist God's persuasion? Why do we allow our circumstances to determine our peace of mind? Surely his promises are trustworthy, so why do we forget them when anxiety rears its ugly head? I guess the only reasonable explanation for this strange behavior of ours is sin. The remedy seems to be quite simple: trust and obey. While this is easier said than done, I am desirous of bringing honor to God by knowing peace this side of heaven. The unbelieving world is watching; let's do the best thing for ourselves and at the same time glorify the God of peace by receiving His gift now.

"Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest, finding as he promised, perfect peace and rest."

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Robinson's sermon last week was part one on John 14:25-31. It is a wonderful sermon on Peace. hopeport.org. I highly recommend your reading it.

    ~Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now reading Fearless, by Max Lucado. He asks us to imagine our lives without fear!

    One of my favorite hymns is 'Trust and Obey'. It states,.."there is no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey." Not easy to do at times but thank God He helps us in accomplshing this.
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete