Thursday, January 21, 2010

Amazing Music, IMHO (In my humble opinion!)

I have been enthralled these past few days with some new music. I found it in byFaith Magazine, a magazine published online and in print by the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) which is the denomination our church is part of. I was drawn because these new artists, collectively named Bifrost Arts, firmly believe in congregational singing.

“We created Bifrost Arts to enrich the Church and engage the world with beauty and truth through music beautiful enough that non-Christians are attracted to it,” said Wardell. The name of the organization comes from Norse pagan mythology, meaning 'a bridge connecting heaven and earth.' “Bifrost wants to be that bridge,” says Wardell. “Bach said that music is the only art of heaven given to man, and the only art of earth taken to heaven. Singing together is one thing we know we’ll all be doing together forever.”

Intrigued by this description, I downloaded both cd's onto my iPod and began listening. (The first one is called Come O Spirit, and the second has a Christmas theme, entitled Salvation Created.) I am absolutely hooked. It is terrific music and compelling poetry. It consists both of new hymns and some old ones set to new tunes.

Here is the link to the full article about Bifrost Arts: http://tinyurl.com/ygfm7u3

Here is the link to amazon.com where you can listen to snippets of the music: http://tinyurl.com/ycgbuwo

And by the way, I get no commissions from this blogpost. I just love this music. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Always excited to hear a recommendation for good music. I'll check it out. Thank you!

    ~Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm listening right now--very calming! I am sharing it on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd also recommend Keith and Kristen Getty. They've written new songs in the style of hymns that include great theology and teaching. Quite enjoyable and useful in the church today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen: The day I downloaded 'Come O Spirit" I also downloaded "In Christ Alone' by the Gettys! Wonderful music. Apparently we have the same taste in music!

    ReplyDelete