Monday, January 4, 2010

What's Your Plan for Reading the Bible?

As I write this, it is January 1, 2010. I just finished the Scriptures assigned for this day according to the Bible reading plan I have chosen for this year. I am very much interested in the plans that CandyceLand readers utilize for reading God's Word. My own history is varied; a few years ago I adopted the plan affectionately referred to as the "Marines Boot Camp Bible Reading Plan," which was established by one of our elders at EPC. Basically, it brought the reader through the Bible twice each year. It was hefty, but definitely worthwhile. Recently, though, I have been using one found in the back of my ESV Study Bible by Crossway:

"There are four readings for each day. These readings are divided into four main sections: Psalms and Wisdom Literature; Pentateuch and the History of Israel; Chronicles and Prophets; and Gospels and Epistles. In order to make the readings come our evenly, four major books of the Bible are included twice in the schedule; the Psalms (the Bible's Hymnal), Isaiah (the grandest of the OT prophets), Luke (one of the four biblical Gospels), and Romans (the heart of the Bible's theology of salvation)."

I utilized this Plan last year, and it was wonderful. It is available online for free through www.esv.org.

But what about all of you? What have you found to be helpful through the years? What's the plan for this year? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Great question, it got me to thinking. Last year I was ready with my chronilogical bible to start in Jan. Because I have not read the entire bible, but have always done studies I go back & forth between the OT & NT so I have some sense of the history but am still at a loss many times at how the time line of events happened. So I am inquiring about a method to do the bible in one year but it needs to be fairly light as far as the load. Does anyone have suggestions?

    I would like to be successful, my schedule is full like many of you, I work, I try to faithfully read Candyceland everyday, The EPC prayer Journal, do my bible study, read for the book study Tuesday nights, prepare a lesson for the childrens ministry on Friday mornings, and then of course be a good wife and mother for our grown children and grandchild. This is perhaps why I haven't been successful in my many failed attempts to read the bible in a year. Any easy suggestions?? Thanks DS

    ReplyDelete