Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Spiritual Wait-Lifting #5

If you are a first-time reader of CandyceLand, or have returned after an absence, you might want to scroll down and start at the beginning of this series of "Spiritual Wait-Lifting." We've looked at the temptation to give way to doubt and anger when God calls us to wait on Him. The next one is giving way to discouragement:

"This is where I begin to let me heart run away with the "If only___," the "What if___," and the "What will happen if ___." I begin to give my mind to thinking about what will happen if my request isn't answered soon, or what in the world will happen if it's not answered at all. This kind of meditation makes me feel that my life is out of control. Rather than my heart being filled with joy, my heart gets flooded with worry and dread. Free mental time is spent considering my dark future, with all the resulting discouragement that will always follow." (Paul Tripp)

Is there anyone out there who hasn't experienced this thought pattern? If so, I'd like to hear your strategy for avoiding such a mental mess! I'm sure that preventative measures such as attending to the means of grace help - Bible reading and meditation, worship, prayer, fellowship, sacraments, godly counsel, etc. We definitely need to enlarge our minds to focus on a heavenly perspective as we wait for relief or answers - one that takes into account the promises that God wants us to think about.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Phil 4:6


No comments:

Post a Comment