Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Looking for Answers

One of the most common observations I have heard when people start talking about their experience reading the Bible is this: "I've read this verse a hundred times and never noticed ___ about it before." Well, include me as someone who is constantly amazed by some new insight on a familiar passage. Today's "AHA" moment occurred while reading Psalm 5:3:

"Morning by morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; morning by morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."

I can honestly say I rarely do what this verse suggests: make a prayer request in the morning and then consciously and excitedly wait to see the answer unfold during the course of the same day. Very often I pray and then just get on with my duties. Why? Am I just not expecting anything from God? Do I not believe that He has the power to do mighty works while I engage in the tasks He has called me to that day?

And worse yet, how often do I pray in the morning, and then forget to thank Him at night for all the mercies and answers He did shower me with that day?

I know that some answers don't come in one day, but shouldn't I be looking? And when something good does come speedily, shouldn't I notice, and thank God for His mercy?

Of course, the answer is YES.

1 comment:

  1. This ties in nicely with Pastor Robinson's sermon of a couple weeks ago which he titled "Charge it". In this sermon he talked about the privilege we have to Charge our requests to Christ's account. Pastor Robinson also asked some of the same questions you asked here regarding how quickly we make a request then forget to wait on the answers or doubt that God is really listening. When will our hearts learn to trust and obey? God longs to delight us with His presence, his mercy and his grace. His thoughts towards us are nothing but loving.

    I do appreciate this venue you have chosen to share with us what God is showing you. It is definitely encouraging me throughout the day/week.

    ~Jeanette

    ReplyDelete