Monday, March 1, 2010

Four Terrible Words

Everyone in the Christian world seems to have a 'favorite' Bible verse, but I have a 'least favorite' one as well. Here it is:

"Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eight years in Jerusalem. He passed away, to no one's regret..." (2 Chronicles 21:20)

Isn't that just awful? To die, without anyone caring at all? Even a little bit?

To be fair, Jehoram was probably one of the worst kings in the history of Judah, or even in the history of the world. He began his reign by murdering many family members. He was so evil that Elijah sent him a letter prophesying the incredibly horrible means of death he would experience. (I will spare you the details - but 2 Chronicles 21 does not...) No one thought highly of Jehoram while living, and everyone was relieved when he died.

Many people in this world desire to be famous, and Jehoram certainly achieved that goal. But as for me, I would much rather live a quiet and simple life and have someone regret my death just a little, than to be known by all and have my end be "...to no one's regret."

No comments:

Post a Comment