Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Walking with God, Part 3

According to J.C. Ryle, the third way that we can best "...walk with God" as Enoch did in Genesis 5 is this:

"Again, he that walks with God is one of God's witnesses. He never hesitates to stand forward on the Lord's side. He is not content with giving his own heart to God, but he is ready and willing to bear his testimony in public on behalf of the cause of righteousness and truth. He (Enoch) thought not what his neighbors liked, but what his Lord required. He sought not to please the world, but to please God; and therefore, living in the midst of sin and corruption, he was separate from it. He was a witness against it; he was as the salt of the earth; he was as a light shining in a dark place."

What sort of witness have I been lately? Have I esteemed God enough to stand on His side? Or have I shrunk back out of fear of what others may say or think? Am I a God-pleaser, or a people-pleaser? Do I really desire to share righteousness and truth, or am I content to let others do so?

Heavenly Father, help me to be a witness to your love and grace. Give me courage to speak the truth without hesitation. Change me from being fearful of what others may think of me into being Your salt and light in this dark world.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Thanks Candy for your honesty in questioning yourself on how your faith walk appears to others.

    I know from my own personal example that I am nothing like Enoch or the apostle Paul, who not only displayed contentment in the Lord, it came from deep down inside them. I strive for contentment when all I really need to do is ask for Jesus to help me RECEIVE the that which He already offers me with each new day.

    May all God's people continually ask the Holy Spirit to change our hearts and make us a people who others will see and and ask us;

    to give the reason for the hope that we have. And may our answer be given with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience.
    1 Peter 3:15,16 Thanks for your words of encouragement Candy! DS

    ReplyDelete