Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Walking with God, Part 2

The topic this week is how to emulate Enoch in Genesis 5:24: "Enoch walked with God..." Yesterday J.C. Ryle recommended that in order to 'walk with God,' we need to be one of God's friends. Today's suggestion is even lovelier:

"Again, he that walks with God is one of God's dear children. He looks upon Him as His Father, and as such he loves Him, he reveres Him, he rejoices in Him, he trusts Him in everything... He thinks that God knows better than himself what is good for him, and so in everything that happens - sickness or health, sorrow or joy, riches or poverty - he says to himself, 'It is well: my Father sends this.' Such a one was Enoch."

I often struggle over the simplest decisions - whether to get a job, visit my parents this week or next, or whether to buy a generator for use in future storms. I kid myself when I believe I am capable of deciding the BIG issues of life. How fortunate I am that I have a Heavenly Father who is sovereign over all the days of my life.

My God and my King, You know what is good for me; please help me to trust in your kind providences each and every day, each and every moment. And when I struggle, please help me to say: "It is well: my Father sends this."

1 comment:

  1. I have received so much encouragement from reading your blog. Thank you for your truthful insights on applying our faith to all our thoughts and actions in our everyday life! May God bless you for your wonderful ministry! ~JL

    ReplyDelete