Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Pastoral Visit

Everyone, of course, lives in fear of "the pastoral visit," the time when the pastor of your church comes to your home and does a "spiritual check-up" on your progress in the Lord. I vividly remember one such visit - at the time we belonged to Christ Presbyterian Church and our minister was T. David Gordon. We sat down at the kitchen table of our condo in Merrimack, NH, and he asked me this question: "What has surprised you the most from the teaching you have received this past year?" My response? I had been thrilled to learn that Christ was everywhere on the pages of the Old Testament. Never before had I been instructed so succinctly and convincingly that the revealing of the person and work of Jesus actually began in Genesis.

As it turns out, Dr. Gordon was following the Apostle Paul's model of teaching:

"When they had appointed a day for him (Paul), they came to him at his lodging in greater numbers. From morning till evening he expounded to them, testifying to the kingdom of God and trying to convince them about Jesus both from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets." (Acts 28:23)

Oh what a thrill it was to have been instructed in this way by a minister of the Gospel! How much richer I was for seeing our Lord and Savior in all His glory from the opening pages of Genesis until the closing ones of Revelation.

Thank you, Dr. Gordon; you are a good and faithful servant of Our Lord.

3 comments:

  1. Since coming to EPC I have been so blessed by the faithful Christ centered preaching of Pastor Magee. I always knew that Christ was in the Old Testament but never realized how much. I have learned so much of Christ. I am thankful to the Lord for Pastor Magee who is also a good and faithful servant of our Lord. JC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I read Jeremiah 3:15. In this passage God is calling "faithless Israel" (yes that is His name for His people at this point) to repentence. In his call he speaks to them thus: "Then I will give you shepherds after my own heart,who will lead you with knowledge and understanding."

    When I read that the second time God hit me over the head with a 2x4 as I realized that he has indeed given me shepherds that fit this descriptions and what a blessings have been showered upon me through their lead in knowledge and understanding. Rejoice in the Lord Always and again I say REJOICE!

    ~JJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Old Testament began to make more sense in light of first looking at the context for the day and then seeing how each passage and book pointed to Christ and His kingdom. I also am grateful that there are preachers who help us see the "kingdom thread" throughout the Bible.

    ReplyDelete