Thursday, March 18, 2010

Walking with God, Part 4

We've been looking at some insights given by J.C. Ryle in Heading for Heaven concerning our "walk with God." The Scripture that began this study was Genesis 5 in which it is stated that "Enoch walked with God, and he was not: for God took him." Obviously Enoch was favored by God, and God even spared him the experience of death. Our hope is that we could improve our "walk with God." Here is the last lesson from Ryle:

"But I say further, to walk with God is to walk in God's ways, to follow the laws He has given for our guidance, to look on His precepts as our rule and our counselor, to esteem all His commandments concerning all things to be right; to fear turning aside from the narrow path He has set before us for one single instant; to go straighforward, though all things seem against us, remembering the word on which He has caused us to hope."

There is a famous Frank Sinatra song entitled "My Way." Here is the first verse:

And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

It seems as though this sentiment is the exact opposite of what Ryle is recommending. As a believer, I should shudder to even slightly desire to do life "My Way."

Dear God, place your restraining hand upon my life, and place the narrow path at my feet. Guide me in Your ways, and bring to my thoughts Your Word which is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

1 comment:

  1. Certainly many of us already know what life is like when "we did it our way". Praise God that He has made us new creations and that now we look for His Providences (His divine care and guidance). Oh that sounds so wonderful as I am readying myself to walk out the door for work today. I know all the work I have ahead of me today and I have spent the morning trying to calm myself as to not become overwhelmed.

    May all of God's children be mindful to ask Him to be the One in charge of, all of it, even the most minuet and seemingly insignificant parts of this day. God's grace & peace and the love of the Lord Jesus Christ be with each of us this day. DS

    ReplyDelete