Friday, September 11, 2009

Cluck, Cluck

On Monday of this week I felt particularly miserable. I found myself crying more than usual, I couldn't concentrate enough to read, I was too tired to clean, I even had a hard time making simple decisions. My solution? I ran out of the house and went to the store to buy chicken. Yep, chicken, and lots of it.

Some of you know that I am the official "Chicken Lady" of our local food pantry here in Exeter. I am entrusted with purchasing enough chicken to be disbursed during the four times per week when needy clients come in to receive food for themselves and their families. It is a fun volunteer job. I look for the best deals each week, trying to save money for the pantry. The only items that the pantry pays for are hamburg meat, hot dogs, butter, and chicken. Everything else that someone might need to run a house is given through donations by individuals, churches, and businesses. It is a very wonderful ministry, and I'm privileged to be a part of it.

So the following day I was reading 1 Peter 4, and it turns out that there is a Scriptural command to run out and buy chicken when distressed. Do you think I'm kidding? HA - I'm not. Verse 6 states: "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." Peter concludes this chapter on suffering with Verse 19:

"Therefore, let those who suffer according to God's will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good." (emphasis mine)

See? When we are suffering, when we are afflicted, and when we are in pain, we should focus on others and their sufferings, their afflictions, and their pain. In doing so, we can expect to be blessed by God.

Now I just have to hope that I will not be asked to wear an official chicken-lady outfit while doing good. :-)

1 comment: