Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More Tears

Yesterday we explored the world of tears - using various Internet sources such as Wikipedia. We discovered that crying is a fascinating biological process, worthy of the God who designed every millimeter of our bodies. Today we turn to the ultimate source of information on this topic - the Bible. Tears are spoken of throughout Scripture, from the book of Genesis through to Revelation.

In typing out some of my favorite verses below, I am struck by several things:

1. So many references to crying are followed immediately by the promise that those tears will eventually end.
2. Jesus wept. Why did the Son of God weep at the tomb of His dear friend when He knew that He was about to resurrect him? Seems like definitive proof that crying is part of our human existence.
3. The most intriguing verse to me is the one where David states that our tears are stored in a bottle. I found some wonderful commentaries on this verse - which I will post tomorrow. I'm glad that I make the rules around here so I can keep going with follow-ups to this interest of mine!

In the meantime, read these verses and weep with joy that God notices and remembers all our tears...


Those who sow in tears with reap with songs of joy. Psalm 126:5

He will swallow up death forever; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, for the Lord has spoken. Isaiah 25:8

Jesus wept. John 11:35

For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5

You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Psalm 56:8

Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy! He who goes out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him. Psalm 126:5-6

For behold, I create new heavens and and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy, and her people to be a gladness. I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress. Isaiah 65:17-19

I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.... Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping, The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord accepts my prayer. Psalm 6:6, 8-9

For a people shall dwell in Zion, in Jerusalem; you shall weep no more. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry. As soon as he hears it, he answers you.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was not more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. Revelation 21:1-4

No comments:

Post a Comment