Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hamlet on Blogging

To blog or not to blog: that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the whole day searching for a topic, image, and title, and when completed, rest content, OR relinquish this self-imposed pressure, and watch endless Netflix movies. Ay, there's the rub.

But seriously, folks, on those days when I haven't been able to come up with something for the morning post until late the evening before, I ask myself "WHY exactly am I doing this?" The main reason I don't like to write is that I don't like attention. So why do I write? Part of me feels like Emily in Emily Climbs (part of the New Moon trilogy) when she is relating what her teacher says about writing:

"Oh, if I could only put things into words as I see them! Mr. Carpenter says, 'Strive - strive - keep on - words are your medium - make them your slaves - until they will say for you what you want them to say.' That is true - and I do try - but it seems to me there is something beyond words - any words - something that always escapes you when you try to grasp it - and yet leaves something in your hand which you wouldn't have had if you hadn't reached for it."

Hmmm. I like that. I like that a lot.

I think that I have also discovered the real reason I started this project in the first place. I was sick of hearing myself say: "I wish I could be a writer... I would like to be a writer... If only I could write... whine... whine... whine..." So I finally gave myself that famous ultimatum - "put up or shut up!" So now I am "putting up" these posts and "shutting up" those whines.

There - another post, and it's even completed before 7PM. And look! There is something in my hand that I would not have had if I hadn't reached for it!

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs are like a drive through for a working mom. You know you need to be reflecting on good books and connecting them to scripture, but you barely take time for private prayer time. So that is another reason for you to write, so that I will have something in my HEAD!

    ReplyDelete