Thursday, September 10, 2009

What's Your One Thing?

King David of Israel is the author of Psalm 27. He had many struggles in his life to pray about. So do I, and I suppose you do, too. But look at what he writes in verse 4:

One thing have I asked of the Lord,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to inquire in his temple.

Paul David Tripp makes a very insightful application of this verse to our lives:

"It does beg the question, 'What's your one thing?' What is the one thing that your heart craves? What is the one thing that you think would change your life? What is the one thing that you look to for satisfaction, contentment, or peace? What is the one thing that you mourn having to live without? What is the one thing that fills your daydreams and commands your sleepy meditations? What is your one thing?" (from A Shelter in the Time of Storm: Meditations on God and Trouble.)

In this Psalm, David confesses what is foremost in his heart. Despite all his sufferings, he was not looking for deliverance from his situation, he was looking for God. How great is that? How many of us could truthfully say the same? Instead, most of us look to everything but God. We seek answers to desperate prayers, we long for relief from pain and suffering, we want improved relationships, financial security for ourselves and others, and on and on and on. We want everything on our list of prayers to God, but do we want Him?

"Gazing upon the beauty of the Lord" is the one thing our hearts were meant to do. Why do we neglect such a wonderful gift?

2 comments:

  1. Amen, well said, I am guilty as charged it is a "Golden Calf" mentallity. Thanks for helping me to set my compass back on Jesus I need Him more than anything else this life can offer me. I want to be found daydreaming about being in the arms of my Lord Jesus Christ. DS

    ReplyDelete